The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

I always have to do a System Restore after Windows Update

(9 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Zuelajindi
  • Latest reply from germ-x
  • Topic Viewed 488 times

Zuelajindi

Unfortunately, I do not have my Windows 7 copy on me, so I can't go too far as to do a complete clean install. However, I wonder if there are some potential errors in the updates themselves, and how my system is handling the updates. It has been like this for quite some time.

After updating and such, and AFTER logging in, Windows will start up the services as usual, then maybe 30 seconds later, suppose I try to open my Internet browser, and everything else freezes. I can still move the cursor, but all else is unresponsive, making a hard boot necessary. CRTL + ALT + DELETE also does not work when this happens. Your 2-bits are appreciated, thanks. Here is some information on my setup if it helps.

CPU: Intel Pentium E5400 2.70GHz
RAM: 6.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Motherboard: ASUSTek CM5571
Hard Drive: 932GB Western Digital WDC ATA

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

Here's an official W7 download site...pick same version:

http://www.askvg.com/direct-do.....nd-64-bit/

Tony

Posted 1 year ago

nosparks

I'd turn the computer on, go have dinner and come back in an hour or so and see how it is. Could be it's just not getting time to get all settled in before the panic button is being pushed.

Like you said..... just my 2-bits worth.

PS: remember when it use to be 2 cents worth? Now it's up to a quarter, guess that's inflation.

Posted 1 year ago

Zuelajindi

Should I back up all my files and all then if I carry this out?

Posted 1 year ago

Zuelajindi

Resolved, I think. I ran the troubleshooter for Windows Update, and so far it works as it should.

Posted 1 year ago

Santo
Santo

Thanks for posting back.

Posted 1 year ago

Zuelajindi

Scratch that, after another restart, same thing happened. I am not sure what update may have caused this but I know for a fact that other systems do not handle the issue the same way mine does. Might have to follow through with that clean install.

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

I would backup your essential files for safety but you can do an in place install after you have downloaded and burnt your W7 disk I linked earlier. All your settings and files will remain but all the system files will be replaced and you will have to do MS updates again. Your programs will be untouched too. This is a fair bit quicker than a clean install...a couple or three hours to do. A clean install is best but depends if you want to spend that time doing one. Make sure you get the W7 version with SP1.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tut.....stall.html

Tony

Posted 1 year ago

germ-x
germ-x

Have you checked your restore points? Windows makes a restore point just before updates are installed.
You might have to delete a few or try going back in time before this problem started and restore at that time.
You say it has been like this for quite some time which means if you haven't deleted any restore points or if your allocated space isn't filled you might be able to save a lot of work.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!