The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

i accidenteally loaded xp and cant undo it

(4 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by ocpelon
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 1056 times

ocpelon

i have windows 7 and today i accidentally ran the xp disc that came with my laptop now i cant get my old windows 7 ive tried restore and nothing, please help thnks

Posted 1 year ago

oldgeezer

What were you actually trying to do? If you went through the XP install process by booting from the disk, then at some point you would have seen a message about 'formatting' and what sort of format you wanted to do. If you chose this option then you will have removed the Windows 7 installation and replaced it with XP. For all intents and purposes it will have gone. However, if you tried running the disk from within Windows, or used a boot manager programs to try & run a dual boot system then your Win7 installation is still there, you just need to repair the boot files, but you need to give more information on what you actually did.

Posted 1 year ago

ocpelon

thanks for responding, i was looking through my original stuff that came with my laptop i saw the original installation cd, i had already upgraded to windows 7 a while back, though i kept getting a message about an error with my windows security, without thinking i put the disc in the drive and was not paying attention when i realized i had just reinstalled xp

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Looks like you got rid of Windows7. You have to reinstall it. You can download the Win7 .iso from here, burn it to DVD and activate it with your Win7 product key. Make sure you download the version that matches your product key.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!