How-To Geek Forums / Microsoft Office

Hyperlinks in Excel 2010

(6 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by MichelleKeith
  • Latest reply from moreeg
  • Topic Viewed 852 times

MichelleKeith

Hi Everyone,

I have been able to create hyperlinks from objects/shapes in Excel, but I have to right-click and scroll to "Open Hyperlink" to get it to open.

If I create the same link in a regular cell, I can just click to open the document.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong in creating the hyperlink from the objects that isn't allowing me to automatically open the destination file?

Thanks,

Michelle

Posted 1 year ago

moreeg
moreeg

Hi Michelle

You are right. The hyperlink should be activated as soon as you click on it. The only time that I could not do that is when the object was "selected". To test if this is what is happening to you click on any cell outside of the object and then try left clicking on the object. Post back if this doesn't work and explain what type of object or shape it is, what you are trying to link to and how you created it.

Moree

Posted 1 year ago

MichelleKeith

It didn't work.

It's a SmartArt shape. I have everything listed in a hierarchical chart. I don't necessarily have to do it this way, but the look of it is exactly what I am going for, AND I did all of the formatting and placements assuming that the hyperlink thing wasn't going to be an issue, so I would really like to avoid going back to square one.

And as it does let me put the hyperlink in there in some fashion, I would like to hope that there is a way to make it direct. I put the hyperlink in the exact same way that I would into a regular cell (which still works, I checked to make sure it wasn't my system). And I'm linking to PDF documents that are on my harddrive - I'm not picky about this if it will help: I can embed them right into the spreadsheet if that will help.

Any thoughts? I appreciate the help.

Michelle

Posted 1 year ago

moreeg
moreeg

Unfortunately, no. I couldn't replicate your problem other than the way I described in my first post. I couldn't see any settings in Options that may cause this nor did I find anything on google that resembled your problem.

So, at this point, if it were me, I would test this one more time by creating a new smart art object and without formatting it in any way apply a hyperlink to it. If it works then I would guess that there was something in the way I formatted the Hierarchy picture that messes it up.

If the new picture doesn't work I would start to suspect something is wrong with my installation of Excel and would try the Diagnostics to see if that fixes the problem.

As a very last resort I might uninstall/reinstall excel.

If none of these worked I would go to Microsoft for some help.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Hang around a bit and others may show up with a solution.

Posted 1 year ago

MichelleKeith

It's alright - partially my fault. I went back to test your first suggestion again but first I checked that the hyperlink was still set-up properly and it wasn't. I had done a lot of undo/redo in my efforts.

So you are correct. If I am outside of the graphic and I click, it moves directly. Unfortunately, I foresee this being an issue with other users. The whole "make sure you are in a regular cell before clicking the hyperlink" is going to blow some minds, I can tell.

But thanks for your help!!

Posted 1 year ago

moreeg
moreeg

Michelle

this really shouldn't be a problem. The only way the picture should be in edit mode is if you right click it. If you save the file with a cell activated i.e. without the picture in edit mode then the only way a user will get into trouble with this is if they right click the picture. If they do that then they should be able to get themselves out of it. Otherwise, any "normal" click will activate the link.

If you want to be absolutely certain that the picture is not in edit mode you can set up a simple macro that will activate a cell (say A1) every time you open that particular worksheet. But, I believe , this is a bit over the top for this issue.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!