How-To Geek Forums / Microsoft Office

Hyperlinks Don't Work In Word 2007

(8 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by Bonden
  • Latest reply from Goldenbarstewart
  • Topic Viewed 10331 times

Bonden

Hello,

In Word 2007, hyperlinks in Word documents to Internet sites no longer work as they should and instead result in the message:

"Word Unable to open [URL]. Cannot locate the Internet server or proxy server."

The same hyperlinks copy/pasted to the IE7 browser window address bar work just fine. Also, links in word documents to other documents on my local machine work OK too.

I've tried one suggested fix of creating and modifying a registry subkey but that didn't work so I restored it to the way it was before modification.

This problem may have started, but I'm not sure, after I was having "404" problems accessing Netflix and Wikipedia sites, apparently from having both WinDefender and McAfee firewalls turned on at the same time - Turned one off and problem resolved, but did some other things in IE7, too, so may have caused this current problem then?

Any suggestions or insight will be appreciated.

Posted 5 years ago

kbose1

Try deleting your Normal.dot template (Go to Start > Search to find it), then re-start Word. It will recreate a new template.

Posted 5 years ago

kbose1

oops..i forgot to ask. is your default browser set to any other browser other than IE. If it is then you might run into this problem.

Posted 5 years ago

Bonden

Thanks very much for the replies.

IE7 is my only browser and it is set as the default, and to notify if it is ever not the default.

Changed it to Normal.old, and then saw where a new Normal.dot was created after opening and closing a document.

Hyperlinks still don’t work - no change.

But all suggestions appreciated, in any case.

Posted 5 years ago

kbose1

I am assuming you have already tried this article : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/218153

Posted 5 years ago

Bonden

Yeah, I did, but no joy so I undid it.

And while that is specified to apply to Word 2000-2003, and I'm using 2007, it was not exactly as that fix described, but similar enough that it seems I did it correctly, but I know the registry can be complicated.

Also, could find no similar procedure for 2007...

Posted 5 years ago

kbose1

Ok..now are you behind a proxy server?

Posted 5 years ago

Goldenbarstewart

Yes - I am having the same problem, but with Publisher 2007 as well. It was suggested that each page be ungrouped and that the document be resaved. But that does not work either. It seems ludicrous that MS would not check out such a fundamental problem. Interestingly, if I create the same document using Publisher 2000, hyperlinks work perfectly. I have tried hyperlinks in Publisher 2007 in XP, Vista and Windows 7 - none work - so it is not the OS causing the problem.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!