Hybrid drive or straight on SSD ?

(22 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by amkeew
  • Latest reply from raphoenix
  • Topic Viewed 941 times

amkeew
amkeew

Time to upgrade my laptop.

Which is better in terms of speed and safety (of data) - hybrid drive or a full blown SSD ?

I am looking at 500 gig storage + windows 7 + back lit keyboard and with a budget of about $ 1,200. Any recs ?

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Hybrid drives are a waste of money.

Posted 1 year ago

bigp-london

the ssd drives are faster than SATA, however, if the SSD fails, there is almost 0 chance to recover data, where as a sata drive - you have a good chance (depending on reason for failure)

Hybrid drives are useful, they give a mixture of the speed of the SSD and the recoverability from the standard drive.

However a good backup of your data will preclude the issue of recovery should your drive breakdown.

at the price you are looking - will you not consider a Mac?

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

Some further reading;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_drive

http://www.pcworld.com/article.....-you-.html

Mike

Posted 1 year ago

amkeew
amkeew

Thanks guyz.

Mike

from the pcworld piece

Solid-state drives are best suited to savvy PC users who seek high performance. If you don’t mind managing multiple volumes and you have the budget, pairing a fast SSD with a high-capacity hard drive will result in the best of both worlds. The SSD can hold the OS and your most frequently used applications, while the hard drive can handle the bulk-storage duties. Managing multiple storage volumes can be a bit of a pain for casual PC users; if you know your way around a PC, however, combining a fast SSD and large hard-drive storage is a great, high-performance approach with minimal compromise.

It goes 180 degrees against LH's view.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

No it doesn't. That article says 2 separate drives. The memory in the hybrids is not a true SSD drive.

Posted 1 year ago

amkeew
amkeew

LH, right. I got bit confused with hybrids and dual drives.

So dual drive is the best of both the worlds ?

bigp - mac prices are way beyond my budget with a 500 gig configuration

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

Do you have a specific laptop in mind? Hybrids are normally either PCI cards or larger physical drives that many not fit in a laptop (I've not looked on the web to see what is available).

The 'main' feature of a hybrid vs. an SSD is capacity and price point. A Hybrid is basically a mechanical drive with a large cache that can hold data too.Depending on cache size and what you do performance varies and never will be as good as a pure SSD.

SSD is the way to go, but the price point for a 500GB drive might put your dollar limit out of reach. An SSD in a laptop has a significant power and heat advantage over a mechanical drive as well.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

amkeew
amkeew

Irv

I meant dual drive, not hybrid. My bad.

I am looking at 128 GB SSD and 500 GB HDD. Any recs?

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

For the SSD, the Samsung 840 Pro has gotten excellent reviews. Unlike the less expensive 840, the 840 Pro uses proven MLC technology instead of the TLC of the 840. Since you are looking for performance, avoid the 5400 RPM HDDs, such as the green drives.

Posted 1 year ago

amkeew
amkeew

Thanks LF. I am looking for pre-built notebooks with that config. If I have to add the SSD on my own, I wouldn't know how to transfer the OS to the SSD.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Ah. Netbook, notebook, or laptop ?
The 1st 2 may not have physical drives in them.

Posted 1 year ago

amkeew
amkeew

Lh - Laptop/notebook with that config sans optical drive at about 4 lbs.

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

I don't think a lot of any portable has slots for 2 hard drives, usually a power statement. At one time or another HP, ASUS, and Toshiba did sell such models, but they included the drives and probably OVER your price limit to boot. Also, if you can find one with a MSATA slot you can add an SSD that way.

Easy to move the OS to the SSD, many imaging programs handle that and Paragon has a stand-alone program that works well it seems. Acronis and others off disk transfer programs that do it for you as well.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Laptops with 2 drive bays do exist, but I have only seen them in some 17" plus models.

Posted 1 year ago

amkeew
amkeew

Irv. That explains my googling for such notebooks turned up jacksquat.

Thanks for the tips on moving the OS to SSD. Can I remove the optical drive port and use SSD in its place?

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Here is a tutorial I mad for how to move the OS to the SSD. In there you also find a link for a $20 program that does it for you with 3 clicks.

For SSDs, the fastest right now are the OCZ Vector and the Samsung 840 Pro that was already mentioned. The Crucial M4 is a nice budget option. Newegg has it sometimes on sale.

I would not remove the optical drive. I would get a laptop with a USB3 port and attach the HDD you recovered (in a USB3 caddy) when you put the SSD in. You may be able to do that also with the optical drive but I never tried that.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

amkeew,

You live in India.

Fill out this Dell India Configure To Order form and see if it meets your needs.

Select the SSD Option for Drives.

http://www.dell.com/in/p/lapto.....38;~ck=mn#

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Laptops (or Ultrabooks) that have SSDs out of the box are too expensive and there is not a big choice. If you buy the SSD seperately, you have a lot more laptop options for less money including the SSD. Plus you can use the recovered HDD in a caddy (costs very little) as an external disk.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

What whs says is true.

OEM CTO Machines are too expensive for sure and you still do NOT get a good Bios with all the necessary settings.

I only suggested that site because I do NOT know what procurement sources there are in India.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!