The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

HTTP

(7 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by tsmith777
  • Latest reply from tsmith777
  • Topic Viewed 367 times

tsmith777

I was reading the HGT newsletter this morning and read an article about HTTP everywhere 3.0 and it seemed like a good idea, I wold like to know from you guys. if it is safe and should it be installed? I use ff 14.01 now. When I clicked on the link to install it I got a pop up warning from FF that said FF has blocked this file (www.eff.org) from asking you to install software on your computer, with a drop down list that says Allow or Not now, please advise. Thanks

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

First it's HTTPS everywhere, not HTTP.

Mozilla says...

Firefox prevented the site from asking you to install software

By default, Firefox permits you to install add-ons only from trusted websites. If the website from which you are installing add-on is not on the trusted websites list, a yellow bar appears across the top of the web page with a message similar to the following:
Firefox prevented this site (www.example.com) from asking you to install software on your computer.

To allow the site, click Allow in the yellow bar.

To add the site to the trusted sites list:

At the top of the Firefox window, click on the Firefox button (Tools menu in Windows XP) and then click Options
Select the Security panel.
At the right of Warn me when sites try to install add-ons, click Exceptions....
In the Allowed Sites - Add-ons Installation dialog, the list of permitted sites is displayed. The current site URL is inserted into the text field.
To allow the site, click Allow. Then, click Close.

Posted 1 year ago

tsmith777

Sorry, Oren forgot the S in HTTP, I understand the allow disallow issue, but my question is not answered, is it safe and should it be installed. Thanks

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

If it was in an ad then I'd be wary. If it was recommended by the Geek I'd trust it.

Posted 1 year ago

tsmith777

It was in the HTG newsletter which I read every day. Have you read the article?

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

No, but I just did and I would assume it was safe if in an H2G article. Personally I do not add things to my browsers. I like them like I like my women sleek, trim and fast.

Posted 1 year ago

tsmith777

LOL

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!