How-To Geek Forums / Site Suggestions

HTG not working in IE6

(13 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by Beauseph
  • Latest reply from ScottW
  • Topic Viewed 1135 times

Beauseph
Beauseph

the company I work for has a bad proxy blocking everything and they have our internet explorers set to IE6. They will not let us get any newer version because they think we are hackers and will hack the system. (which most of them would if given the chance). They also have it set to where we cannot DL anything. I have tried to use this new site with the enhancment but it doesn't work right. I can't read anything at all and the font is all messed up. I checked on a different computer at my friends house that is a ancient and he had IE6 and it didn't work on that computer either. I upgraded to IE8 and it looked great! I guess the solution is to upgrade to IE8 if you have the ability. If not then SOL. I guess I won't be posting much anymore.

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

Use the portable version of Firefox :)

Posted 4 years ago

Beauseph
Beauseph

Wish I could. Don't have any electronic devices to do so. Maybe when I get a nice phone I can. For the time being I will head on over to technet microsoft com and get lost.. :(

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

I thought HTG did work with IE6. I think BobJam uses IE6. Could just be the recent updates to the site. I will mention it to The Geek.

Posted 4 years ago

jmcguire
jmcguire

I don't think LH was referring to Firefox for mobile devices, but rather the PortableApps version (designed for running from a flash drive).
PortableApps - Firefox

Posted 4 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

I just checked, and it looks like it's not working anymore in IE6. I'll get it fixed up.

In other news, IE6 is the worst browser anywhere. It's just horrible.

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

jmcguire. Thanks. That is what I meant :)

Posted 4 years ago

Beauseph
Beauseph

Many Thanks! They disabled all the ports on all the computer.. Usb drives, DVD/cd drives.. they have the placed locked down.. Yes I know that IE6 is horrible!! it is soo soo so so so horrible! Hate it! Thank you for looking into the issue for me! :)

Posted 4 years ago

jmcguire
jmcguire

Not that I use IE(anything), but I will say, at least IE6 didn't take away a very useful feature.

I am of course referring to IE8 taking away session saving, which existed in IE7.

I could also be referring to IE8 being a pain when it comes to installing legit plugins. ( I had a horrible time with this on a friends computer. He had to use IE for a specific online course. )

Enough IE bashing though.

Seems like every solution possible is blocked Beauseph. Hopefully The Geek will get IE6 working again.

Posted 4 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

I have no objection to fixing the site so that it works with IE6, but I think that it should carry a nuisance banner such as this one at YouTube:

@Joshua, how do you save a session in IE7? I was not aware of this feature, nor that it went away in IE8.

Posted 4 years ago

hatryst
hatryst

I was going to start a topic regarding this problem, but then i thought, WHO ON EARTH USES IE6?

Posted 4 years ago

jmcguire
jmcguire

@ScottW
I don't use IE unless I absolutely have to, but if I remember correctly, when you attempted to closed multiple tabs, there was a "Show Options" drop-down on the "Do you want to close all tabs?" dialog. One of the options was to show the current tabs when you next open IE.

IE8 has a similar feature, but a lot less intuitive than the IE7 feature (which is even less intuitive than Firefox, Opera, or Chrome), in which you option a new tab, and on the new tab page is a link to open your session from last time.

Again, this is all from memory because I don't use IE, and the computer I am currently using must have IE6 for the time being.

*EDIT*
This article explains the session saving features of IE7 vs IE8
My Digital Life - IE Session Saving Article

Posted 4 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

OK, I get it. IE8 does do session *saving*, it just doesn't have the option to automatically *restore* the previous session. That is a strange thing to leave out. I also prefer how Firefox handles session saving (and auto-restoring) to either the IE7 or IE8 method.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!