SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

HTG Forums are 1 Year Old. (Also, the Contest Winner Announcement)

(51 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by The Geek
  • Latest reply from BobJam
  • Topic Viewed 5408 times

BobJam
BobJam

LH,

I live in a rural town, and the mail isn't delivered but about twice a year here, so February 2nd is about right for the next delivery <grin>.

Posted 6 years ago

BobJam
BobJam

Hey Geek,

I got the iPOD Shuffle today (Thursday, July 31). When I opened the box I at first didn't realize it was that clip thing. I thought the clip was just something to stick to the iPOD. But the rest of the box was empty (except for the connectors), so I thought "Geeezz, Apple forgot to pack the shuffle itself". Then I realized it WAS the clip thing. I didn't know they were so small.

Anyway, thanks. May not be posting here for a while because I'll be playing with my new toy (BTW, got the song gift card too).

BJ

Posted 5 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

Very glad to hear it already arrived... I totally forgot to send you the tracking number, but I suppose it was barely needed anyway.

The shuffle is designed to be wearable, it's really a cool little device.

Posted 5 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

ya but my brother looses his all of the time lol.

i have one of the big ipods but i am thinking about getting a smaller one skating though the other one is kinda bulky

Posted 5 years ago

Dcw329

i think i would prefer the big ipod they have... the have the ipod suffle, the small ipod, the big ipod, and the ipod touch... i think i would want the big ipod if i could choose... it has a biger screen, and i would prefer that... sometimes smaller isnt better... when it gets smaller you sacrafice alot...

but i have the zune... and i must say, the design is pretty good, i like the wireless sync function it has (so you dont have to hook it up to the computer,), and i like that you can hook it to your wall for power(i think thats seperate with ipods) ...

but its got some major problems that make the ipod better... like, you can sync songs with friends, but thats only if you know someone with a zune (and you dont find them often), and you are only borrowing the song.. you cant even keep for a reasonable amount of time...

there are no accesories for the zune, like no zune-stand, or small speakers, or good cases, etc..... they do have some, but not nearly as wide of a selection... and its harder to send movies or podcasts you find on the internt and send them to your zune...

so i think i would want to stick with the basic ipod... suffle is nice, but you cant even see the song your playing... kinda messed up i think, cause when you get 5,000 songs, thats gunna suck lookin' for your "ice ice baby" song... just sayin...

Posted 5 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

i think thats why they have the shuffle only hold a couple hundred songs lol and i would still use my big ipod there are just times when i could use a small one too

Posted 5 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

Yeah, I always found the regular ipod to be far too bulky for just being able to use anywhere, especially if you are going jogging or something like that.

Not that I exercise anymore, of course =)

Posted 5 years ago

BobJam
BobJam

Geeezzz . . . this thing is addictive. In just one day, I already have three play lists (and that's on a primitive dial up connection and an archaic USB 1.0 port).

Part of the addiction is that while you're downloading you can listen to the music you've already downloaded. And then you continue to download, play music, download again, play music again, etc.

And the iTUNES interface is a "clicker's" dream. There are so many views, and each can be clicked to present so many views again (like a playlist order). The views in the left pane alone are fun (iTUNES Store, Purchased, Music, Playlist, Device, etc.) to toggle back and forth.

However, I use a laptop, so heat is a big consideration. Apparently, playing music is processor intensive because my processor temp rises about 20 Degrees F above what it usually runs at. And also prebuffering to listen to samples especially raises the heat level. It usually runs at between 110 and 118 degrees F, and with the music playing it goes up to about 138F, sometimes slightly above 140. I have a chill mat and periodically put a burst of compressed air in the vent to clean out the dust, but it's a vintage 2004 machine and heat takes it's toll . . . for example the thermal paste is probably degrading. 140 is nowhere near the temp that would fry my AMD Athlon M XP2500+ (212 would do it), but I get nervous when it approaches 140, and shut 'er down and let it cool off.

So heat is the thing that finally gets me out of the iTUNES cycle.

BJ

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

I would not worry about 140F. That should be normal. Even 160F is not critical and you are far from 212. Music takes some Mips. I am right now playing a symphony and 3 cores run at 25% on average and 1 core sits at 1%.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Bob + whs,

I wouldn't worry about it. The on-board processor thermistor should initiate processor shutdown before the chip frys. This old Dual Core is running at +150F and really pulling watts with (6) case fans plus the CPU fan and PS fan. A lot of stuff in this particular tower.

Take the case sides off if the temperature begins to rise too much so the A/C can get to it. Sometimes the case fans will create air flow stalls.

Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

mandypinecone
mandypinecone

I got a shuffle this spring. i mostly use it when I'm playing in the garden. Before the shuffle, I was using a Nano, but couldn't find a comfortable place to keep it. I found the not having a screen is a plus for me i spend less time looking for a song and instead just let it play and here songs i forgot i had.

Posted 5 years ago

BobJam
BobJam

Hey Rick,

Well . . . I can't crack the case on this laptop for ventilation . . . it's NOT a desktop.

Which is why heat is such a critical issue. Because of the restricted space inside a laptop, heat gets more intense. And with the smaller fan that laptops have, the cooling efficiency of the fan is not the same as it would be in a desktop.

I moderate one forum where users are constantly complaining about the noise on their fans in a laptop. Nine times out of ten, it's a laptop equipped with a Celeron, which runs much hotter than a Pentium. Celerons are OK on Desktops, but on laptops they usually result in frequent and noisy fan cycles. Yes, laptops equipped with Celerons are cheaper than the ones equipped with Pentiums, but you get what you pay for, and Celeron laptops generally have worse TTF's than laptops with Pentiums. I'm tempted to be a smarta** and say "You get what you pay for" when people complain about fan noise and frequency with a Celeron laptop, but of course being the mature and responsible moderator I have to hold my tongue.

Of course, I have an AMD, which also runs hot, and that's why I'm so sensitive to heat and clean this thing out frequently and have a chill mat. But the typical novice user doesn't take those precautions. They just get the cheapest and expect it to run quietly. Sheeeessh!!

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

Maybe next time you should look for a system with an Intel Atom chip. They hardly produce any heat and do not need fans. http://www.tomshardware.com/re.....,1947.html

Posted 5 years ago

BobJam
BobJam

whs,

Whoa . . . Dude. You must be a real Geek if you're able to read through all that geek-lingo and get it. I'm just a lightweight, and pretty much glazed over as I tried to read through that review.

But some of the comments seemed to be close to plain English, and I pretty much gathered that their consensus was that the review was BS . . . or rather the commenters thought so, but I couldn't make heads or tails out of it myself.

At the very least, I gathered that this was pretty much an experimental effort by Intel, but as always marketing will have its way and I suspect the Atom will be available to the public before it's really ready. Caveat emptor . . .

But let me get the focus back on my post about being addicted to the iTUNE/iPOD.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

There is already a motherboard out with the Atom Chip and last week they started selling one of these mini-pc's with the chip - at least here in Germany. So the thing is here. Sorry I strained you with the article but after 35 years I spent in IBM development, I do not realize the difficulties others may have. Next time I'll pick an easier one.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Bob + whs,

Well you guys saw a picture of My Build (LOL) (LOL) (LOL).

I have got to find away to put pictures up as I did last week.

Did it once for the ( My Build Picture ) but can't duplicate the procedure using normal HTML code or Scripts.

Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

Unless I misunderstood - are you talking about posting pictures on here? Then use Photobucket. I can post the procedure if you need it (have it canned).

Posted 5 years ago

BobJam
BobJam

Rick,

Not sure what the problem is on your end, but DON'T use ANY HTML or scripting. Ignore the site instructions about backticks, and just try putting the image codes WITH straight brackets ALONE . . . DON'T use the HTML "<" character . . . or any other HTML character for that matter, just [] and the image url between them. Have you tried that??

BJ

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

whs,

Know about PhotoBucket because it pulls pictures off their website.

Last week I was able to put up a picture from off of an image store internal directory of one of my websites using HTML code just like PhotoBucket does.

Now, I cannot do it using the same HTML coding I used last week.

I play with the coding late at night when the HTG site is slow but can't code a picture to post as I did last week - strange.

Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

Hmm, I guess you are on your own. I saw a big discussion between BobJam and Sarah about it, but did not really follow it.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!