HP tweaks Windows 8 downgrade policy

(5 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by raphoenix
  • Latest reply from raphoenix
  • Topic Viewed 478 times

raphoenix
raphoenix

Buyer Beware !!

"Now says 'we may not have Windows 7 drivers for consumers' new PCs that come with Windows 8 pre-installed"

FULL STORY
http://www.computerworld.com/s.....2012-11-13

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Just this afternoon I talked to a senior sales person at Office Depot. He said that new PC sales are sluggish because people hate Windows 8. Maybe HP will get smarter once they review their quartely sales numbers.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

One can FIX Windows 8 with FREE software plus configuration to act like Windows 7 and not know or see that the Win8 interface is even on the machine.

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

I don't know about 'hate'? How can one hate it if you have not tried it? I was running it before on a VM and it wasn't for me. However since the preview's MS did make some changes.

On my wife's machine I've grown to like it, but not much more than W7. The start page with the live tiles, cute, but these are really more 'tablet' oriented then PC/laptop/desktop. Many virtually the same you can get on an iPad or slightly different versions. Nice, but you can live without them. Skype for instance is duplicated, runs on the desktop and as a live tile.

Once you get to the desktop, it virtually is the same as W7 with some 'exceptions'. No Start Orb of course (and there are replacements for that), but I found other annoyances... Control Panel, got to find it, I now know where it is, but you do have to find it. Network Map, have NOT found that on the Network and Sharing Center yet. Many programs did not 'survive' the UPGRADE, even though the Advisor said they would. Some were recovered with a re-install, but in some games, PROGRESS was lost. Ghost, no go...

People generally go to the new OS when they get new h/w. MS has lost the 'following' that will buy the new h/W to get the new OS, they buy the OS instead.

HP, I suspect there are some new systems that will not have drivers for W7, like the Touch Screens.

Like I said, if I were to need and buy a new PC today I'd probably get W8, but the Lenovo IDEAPAD YOGA 13 sure got my attention. A PC Laptop and a tablet?

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

I AGREE with Irv.

Something like the miniature PC he posted is what I like and would purchase if I were going to get a mobile machine.

Rick P.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.