The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

(Solved) - HP Printer Problem

(6 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by boman
  • Latest reply from boman
  • Topic Viewed 731 times

boman

Have Dell Desktop and Dell Inspiron Laptop. Set up wireless printing function a few yrs. ago with an HP Photosmart C4780 printer. Had no problem....until now.
Running XP, soon to go away but serviceable nevertheless. Can print wirelessly with laptop but not with desktop. When I hook up USB cable from desktop to printer..no problem. Default printer set, not working offline, modem reset, etc, etc.
Any suggestions out there?

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

Are you talking about it being used wirelessly?

The is an HP Imaging Monitor that should be installed on each computer that is to use the printer as well. Do you have that?

Although I have a new HP C310, I have had problems in the past too. Usually one computer, and XP, couldn't print. The HP Monitor showed it was off-line but the printer wasn't. Installed the driver again and it worked for awhile. Disconnected again. After posting on the HP Forums with little help by the way, I got one reply that actually worked and we've not had a problem since... the printer likes to be on a SPECIFIC IPAddress... my router is at 192.168.1.1, and the printer should be on 192.168.1.10. Set it to be that either in your router by the MAC address (using the correct base xxx.xxx.x.10 address for you router) or within the printer set-up, give it a try.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

boman

Irv

Thanks for the reply. Your comments are very helpful and I will proceed with your suggestion.

I guess you and I are the only ones left using XP based on response(s).

Thanks again..Bob

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

Bob, no, I've got 4 computers using the printer... main ones now using W7, but one had been XP, the Media Center edition no less, until a month ago.

Both XP and W7 lost the connection. Odd part was when one wasn't working, the other did? Setting the printer to the assigned IP address (in the printer) fixed that for us. Tried setting it in the router by MAC address wasn't that successful all the time (probably a router problem, it didn't work for a computer either all the time).

If that doesn't work, I'd try the HP Printer forum, more knowledgeable people on them there.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

I'm still using XP on one of my machines (I'm a firm believer in, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it). One reason I'm hanging on is my printer won't work on Win7 (and it's an HP) so I'll have to replace it (I need to anyway because its toner cartridges are chipped and all the ones available have expired; they will still print but I can't get into the toolbox to adjust exposure, etc.)

Posted 1 year ago

boman

Irv and Lady Fitzgerald

Thank you both. I have a few things to clear up this week but will certainly follow your advise and get back to you with results.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to respond, nice to know.

Bob

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!