The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

HP N5420 - New Battery?

(6 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by lacyjean
  • Latest reply from lacyjean
  • Topic Viewed 670 times

lacyjean

I have an old N5420 that I would like to get up & running again. I plugged it in & the battery light was yellow. I just checked it again & the light is red. When I start it, it won't go past the initial start up page. - Thanks!

Posted 6 years ago

whs

Do you have a 110V power adaptor for it? You need that in any case, dead battery or not - else you cannot recharge.

Posted 6 years ago

lacyjean

I have the V85 (f1781a) power adapter that came with it.

Posted 6 years ago

whs

Did you plug it into the PC and see whether it charges the battery? And does the PC run with the adaptor?

Posted 6 years ago

lacyjean

It used to run with the adapter, but I haven't used it in a while. I got it out, plugged it in, and it won't go past the initial start up page (HP Logo).

Posted 6 years ago

lacyjean

It's a fairly old laptop. There was a lawsuit a couple years back against HP about the batteries on this particular model. The battery's never worked right, but the computer always ran fine as long as it was plugged in. I got it back out the other day (I've got a newer desktop & haven't used it in a while), but when I start it up, it won't go past the HP logo screen. I've tried F2 to get to setup, but it just sits & 'thinks' indefinitely. I'm not sure what I do to get it back to normal. Hope this is a little more information to help you help me. - Thanks!

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.