The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

(Solved) - HP dv9000 Number Two Drive

(6 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by alamiss
  • Latest reply from alamiss
  • Topic Viewed 488 times

alamiss

I recently added a 320GB 7200 drive to my XP Laptop in the number 1 position, and switched the original 80GB drive to position 2. I used Acronis 2013 to clone the new drive and everything started up and worked out great. I'm only left with one question mark. I'm learning, but am always running into some seemingly simple things I don't understand.

I thought I could use control panel to remove programs from the old (now F drive) to make room for file storage, etc. I cautiously opened F drive, went to control panel and remove programns, and removed a mprogram that was of little consequence. I then closed F drive, opened C drive, remove proigrams, and the program was missing from the new C drive??? I repeated this three times with same results. I know the answer has got to be simple, but I don't understand. If these drives are connected like this I'll never get to clean F drive, and it is full.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

If you actually cloned the old drive to the new drive then everything you need is on the new drive. You can format the old drive or delete any thing you want via explorer with out fear.]

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

alamiss

I'm sure you are right, but why is a program I uninstalled from control panel "uninstall programs" while on F (old) drive disappearing from C drive control panel "uninstall programs" list. Maybe using this method is not the proper way to clean the drive. What do you mean by via explorer?

Thanks

prd

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

Uninstall programs only works for the actual place the software is installed. It will not know anything about the F: drive. Those items are no longer installed. Just wipe the old drive nothing on there matters any more as you copied it all to the new C: drive.

Posted 1 year ago

G41M

"...why is a program I uninstalled from control panel "uninstall programs" while on F (old) drive disappearing from C drive control panel "uninstall programs" list.."

of course the control panel "uninstall programs" list reference is now the C: drive and not the old F: drive. So if you uninstall a program via the control panel > program and features or through the start menu, you are removing the files on the C: drive and your F: drive will still be intact.

If you want to clean the old drive (now F:), format it as Xhi suggested (make sure Quick format is checked). But before you format, I'm not sure how much you have "uninstalled", so might need to reinstall those program(s) again or redo the cloning, that is if the old drive is still intact.

Posted 1 year ago

alamiss

Thanks for getting me straightened out. Good answers.

PRD

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.