The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

HP Digital Imaging Monitor

(5 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by gwwright
  • Latest reply from gwwright
  • Topic Viewed 26746 times

gwwright

I recently posted on this board, and was assisted with a CPU usage problem that turned out to be caused by the HP Digital Imaging Monitor. I was instructed to go into the services and disable this feature and it did solve my problem, however I lost the ability to print after a short time. Then I uninstalled and reinstalled the printer, and contacted HP with the following query.

"The HP Digital Imaging Monitor is putting a constant drain on over 50% on my CPU. This is affecting computer performance. I have tried to disable this feature, but in doing so I lost the ability to print after a short time. Please advise on a solution to this problem. Thank you."

Their response is below.

Dear George,
Thank you for contacting HP Total Care.
This is ____ from HP All-in-One Technical Support Team and this reply is in regard to the issue related to HP Photosmart C7280 All-in-One Printer.
I understand from your email that the HP Digital Imaging Monitor is putting a constant drain on over 50% on your CPU. I truly regret for the inconvenience caused. I appreciate your efforts in trying to resolve the problem. Please do not worry we are here to assist you in best and possible manner. I am sure by working together we can resolve the issue. I seek your kind cooperation.
Issue cause :
--------------
This issue occurs due to software.
Solution :
=========
George, I have provided the detailed information in simple steps to isolate and troubleshoot the issue and I request you to perform them step by step in a sequential manner.
Step I:
=======
We can resolve the issue by Installing Patch from Microsoft Link:

The link is:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927891

After opening the link, we need to install 2 patches. The patches to be installed are given below.

"Download and install update 927891" & "Download and install
Windows Update Agent (WUA) 3.0"

After installing the two patches, restart the computer and check the result.

If the issue still appears, we need to perform the below steps.

Step II:
========
Stopping "HP Network Device Support" service:

The steps for stopping "HP Network Device Support" service are:

1. Click Start and then click Run and in the run window type services.msc
and then press Enter.
2. Locate "HP Network Device Support" service in opened Services window
3. Right click on it and select "Stop" option and close the Services dialog
box.

Step III:
==========
Adding HPSLPSVC32.DLL file to Firewall exception list:

To add "HPSLPSVC32.DLL" file to Firewall exception list, perform the
below steps.

1. Click Start --> Run.

2. In Run dialog box, type "firewall.cpl" and press OK.

3. Windows Firewall dialog box will open. Select "ON" option. And then
click OK.

4. Again perform the above steps to open "Windows Firewall" dialog box.
Then select "Exceptions" tab.

5. Click "Add Program" --> "Browse".

6. Select "C:\Program Files\HP\Digital
Imaging\bin\HPSLPSVC32.DLL"
After completion of the steps, click Apply & OK. And restart the computer to save the changes.

Now, check the functionality.
I believe that the information provided above will resolve the issue. Please get back with observations and results, it is our responsibility to serve our esteemed customers like you in the best possible way. We appreciate your support and cooperation. If you require any further assistance please mail us with the results.
If I misunderstood your query anywhere or if I can be of further assistance, please let me know. I am happy to help you further at any time and in a timely manner.
We are available to our customers round the clock. Feel free to contact us for immediate technical solutions regarding the all-in-one product. Once again, thank you for the opportunity to serve you.

Have a nice day!
Sincerely,
HP Total Care

What do you think of the solution offered? Also, for the Windows Update 3.0 there are three options. They did not specify which to download. x86, x64 or Itanium?

Oh yeah, one other question. We have another laptop running Vista which also is being drained by the HP feature. If this is a good solution, would the steps be the same for a Vista system?

Thank you very much,

George

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

George, it sounds like they have seen this problem before. I don't see a problem with the instructions given. However, in case something goes wrong, create a restore point in System Restore so you can easily undo the changes if it makes things worse. Also, if you are running a firewall that is not Windows firewall, then don't follow the instructions about the firewall. Only run one firewall at a time.

As for the x86 vs x64, that depends on the edition of XP that you have. Check the System Properties in Control Panel. It will say "Microsoft Windows XP" then the next line is the edition, for example "Home Edition". If it does not say x64 in the edition, then you have x86. XP doesn't run on Itanium, so that doesn't apply.

Posted 5 years ago

gwwright

ScottW, Thanks for your reply.

Okay, this did not solve the problem. Still a 50-60% drain on the CPU.

In the steps above they gave instruction for stopping "HP Network Device Support"

Was this meant to be stopped only long enough to add the HPSLPSVC32.dll to the exception list in the windows firewall? Because it is in started status after restarting my system.

Posted 5 years ago

ian2
ian2

Set your " HP Network Device Support " to manual start its still set on automatic so it will always be on when you start your computer...

Posted 5 years ago

gwwright

Ian thanks,

We'll see if that does the trick.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.