The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Site Suggestions

HOWTO:Windows XP Install on a Vista Computer

(3 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by cecej
  • Latest reply from jd2066
  • Topic Viewed 2336 times

cecej

Hi, my laptop (Dell) came pre-installed with a Windows Vista Home Premium, most of the program I run use Windows XP. I followed all the steps in the old forum on "Howto: Windows XP Install on a Vista Computer but when I got to the install windows XP point it brings an error.."This program is blocked due to compactibility issues it goes on to say Setup cannot continue because the version of Windows on your computer is newer than the version on the CD". I would greatly appreciate help from anybody who has the solution

Posted 5 years ago

JonMCC33
JonMCC33

Your best bet is to put Windows XP into a VM instead. Dual booting can be a pain and time consuming to reboot over and over.

With a VM (Virtual Machine) you can run Windows Vista and XP at the same time. Check out Virtualbox: http://www.virtualbox.org

Just install Virtualbox, create a new VM and it will boot from your CD. You can install it fresh and there are no errors. Nothing else to worry about from there too. If you need any help with it there's a huge support community for Virtualbox and I can help you too with my extensive experience using the application in both the Windows and Linux environment.

Posted 5 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

That is because you are running the setup from within Windows Vista. You have to boot from the Windows XP disc to install it when Windows Vista is installed.
If you just want to test things or run older programs then I agree with JonMcc33's suggestion to use a Virtual Machine.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.