The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - HowToUnGhostSleep

(9 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by jaso
  • Latest reply from jaso
  • Topic Viewed 443 times

jaso

Hi. I just re-installed Win7 32 on my mom's comfuser and noticed just now the sleep option in the shut down dialog was ghosted. I tried looking for a resolve and found options related to the power settings in the control panel. However, nothing I've tried seems to work. I know it was available on this Acer Aspire 5050 because it was working up until the fresh reinstall. Any idea why it's not now or how to make it work again?

Thank you very much! Jaso

Posted 2 years ago

ProstheticHead

Hi. Check in Device Manager, are there any '?' marks or 'Unknown Device'?

The sleep thing is usually down to a missing driver, but Window 7 doesn't seem to be supported on this model. Drivers intended for Vista can SOMETIMES work under Windows 7.

http://support.acer-euro.com/d....._5050.html

Posted 2 years ago

jaso

OK. Cool! Thank you. I might give it a try. Can I just as easily use Hibernate? I know this will actually save any data before hibernating. Will hibernate cause any extra undue stress than if I were to give sleep a try again? If not, I'll simply continue using Hibernate.

Posted 2 years ago

jaso

Prosthetic Head. Your animation on your avatar combined with your title, Prosthetic Head, is about the most outrageous, spitting out my coffee funniest thing I've seen in a long time!)

Posted 2 years ago

jaso

LMAO!

Posted 2 years ago

ProstheticHead

Err, sorry about that. Send me the dry cleaning bill. :)

EDIT: You shouldn't double post, it annoys the Mods.

EDIT2: Hibernate basically saves everything, then powers off the machine. On reboot, it takes a bit longer to get back to your desktop. Sleep is better if you can get it to work because it is almost instant.

Posted 2 years ago

jaso

Brilliant!) You are a scholar and a gentleman. Thank you very much for everything.

Mod's, I am sorry. Good looking out.

You guys take care.

Case resolved.

Jaso

Posted 2 years ago

jaso

Oh, hey. I decided to re-look into this (it's 1:03am now! LOL) and found the old fashioned sfc /scannow showed no integrity violations. But the powercfg -a command showed that the vgapnp.sys display driver is not supporting standby in neither S1, S2, nor S3 sleep states.

Is there an alternative display driver? (I didn't see anything available at AcerEurope and I'm not sure who to trust when poking around cyberspace for drivers! LOL)

Thank you very much!

Jason

PS Why would this fresh Win 7 32 install (this time) decide not to enable sleep mode the same way it had earlier this year? I wonder if I tried another reinstall if it would resolve itself? My other forum topic, PinchedHDSpace, shows a D partition with what I believe amounts to a crash report with a bunch of files and a folder labeled, "0f15e61f8b9a14dbc1ef1807fca73679". Also, when I restart, there are 2 win 7 choices. (Normally restarting doesn't hang up on reboot asking which Win7 (or Win7) to boot)

Posted 2 years ago

jaso

Guess what! This just got resolved too!

The PinchedHDSpace post, which resolved the pinched hard drive space, allowed the os to be re-installed (properly), and the second rasher of Windows updates unghosted the sleep option all without my having to search for drivers or anything. Wow!

You guys are the most geekinest geeks I ever geeked a geek with!

Keep on geekin! LOL

Thank you very much!

Jaso

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.