How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

HOWTO: Windows XP Install on a Vista Computer

(58 posts)
  • Started 7 years ago by The Geek
  • Latest reply from vistatroubled
  • Topic Viewed 141628 times

thegeek
The Geek

This thread is going to be a sticky thread that we'll modify over time to cover all the problems that might happen while installing Windows XP on your new Windows Vista machine.

Overview
For an overview of the steps required to shrink your partition and run XP and Vista in a dual-boot configuration, you'll first want to check out this article:
Install Windows XP on Your Pre-Installed Windows Vista Computer

Shrinking Partitions
If you have problems shrinking your Vista partition using Disk Management, you can read this article to understand the problem:
Working Around Windows Vista's "Shrink Volume" Inadequacy Problems

And then read this article that covers another workaround using gparted live cd:
Using GParted to Resize Your Windows Vista Partition

Troubleshooting XP Install
For problems with Windows XP installation:
Resolving "Setup did not find any hard disk drives" during Windows XP Installation

User-Contributed Guides (very useful!)
Dual boot XP and Vista on the HP dv2550se "Verve"

Installing Windows XP w/pre-existing Vista on HP Pavillion Laptop

Driver problems with HP dv9429 laptop

Installing XP on a Vista HP dv2000 Series Notebook

If you can think of anything else that should be in this list, post a response and we'll add it.

Posted 7 years ago

Larry100

Geek,

I have partitioned Vista and setup XP on D: as per your instructions.

My problem is when I boot the XP installation disc is says cannot instal as there is a later version of windows.

How do I get around this?

Thanks for the help!

Posted 7 years ago

Battygurl
Battygurl

It didn't work for me , Once I was in XP the Ethernet card would not recognize!! So I couldnt connect to get Vista boot

Posted 7 years ago

noobTechie

how do i delete the new partition if the Xp does not recognize any hardware...especially the network card...and cannot connect to internet to dl VistaBootPro...please help asap.

:D

Posted 7 years ago

Battygurl
Battygurl

Ahh another user with same prob as me

Posted 6 years ago

nrv1013

Battygurl & noobTechie: Since you're posting here, I'm assuming you have internet access through another computer. Just download VistaBootPro and the .NET framework and transfer it to a portable media such as a USB Flash drive or a CD-R. You don't need an internet connection to make it work, just to download the initial program. You'll need to find the XP drivers for your network card to get a network connection.

Posted 6 years ago

blamuk

I managed to successfully partition and install XP on a new Sony Vaio (VGN-N38E/W). Thank you howtogeek for the fab tutorial.

I want to use the XP partition to make music. Unfortunately, there is no sound! How do I get hold of an XP audio driver for the Vaio? I've looked at the usual suspects online (Sony Vaio support included) but drawn a blank.

Any ideas?

Posted 6 years ago

Battygurl
Battygurl

nrv1013
actually no I didnt I had to format after the problem

Posted 6 years ago

San28

Hi Geek,

Firstly, it was great to read your site. :)
Secondly, please help. :P

I was using Vista Capable Laptop, type : Toshiba Satellite A135-S4427
I was doing the dual boot for both XP and Vista too.
My XP runs good(the performance is far better than Vista),
but I was facing the problem,I cannot get online, because the OS seems cannot detect following driver :

Realtek RTL8101E Family PCI-E Fast Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.0)

I was able to find the driver, but it was designed to suit Win Vista. Althrough, it was installed, I still got the error code 39.

I couldn't find a solution on this. Could you please help on?
Thank You. -San-

Posted 6 years ago

Cheeno
Cheeno

I need help on my HP LAPTOP WHAT DRIVERS DO I USE

Posted 6 years ago

ondarocks

Got it all to work..Except pc reboots when I click on xp partition. It's there i've booted it using another utility just does not boot using the vista pro parameters.. where to go from here?

Posted 6 years ago

chinapoppi
chinapoppi

Hello All;

After reading all the "guidelines" posted by members of this board, it strikes painfully that a member named Mike, in the Vista Forum:"http://www.howtogeek.com/forum/topic/installing-xp?replies=5" Would state that "Most likely the laptop/desktop will not support Windows XP, as it was designed for Windows Vista..."

Excuse me, but if that is the situation..then why are we wasting time following instructions on "dual booting" Vista/XP~!

Will someone please explain~?

Poppi :-)

Posted 6 years ago

michael
michael

Because some people tend to install Vista, buying it right of the shop instead of preinstalled on a PC. Some people also interchange hardware. You yourself may not find it useful but others will. You are not wasting your time, it is simply that not all video cards (OEM and preinstalled in Vista Laptops / Desktops) Support XP Drivers, and Vista Drivers won't work on XP. Hope this helps.

--
Mike

Posted 6 years ago

anmolbhalla

hey .. i installed WinXP over WINdows VISTA on ma toshiba laptop,which had only a single partition. I did this without Disk shrinking . There wasnt any problem as such during installation. I booted the Lappy from XP installation CD . It only asked once that there is already a folder named WINDOWS do u want to overwrite it or use another folder in the same DRIVE . I opted for the 2nd option and gave this new folder, a new name - WINXP .
The installation was complete and nothing was formatted during that .
Now when i start my comp, it boots the WINdows XP . I see all the vista system folders and system file intact. SO vista is still there in PC , but its entry is not in the bootloader.
So i tried making some changes in the boot.ini file for the XP
it looked somewhat like this .. ::

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINXP="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

--------------------------------------
I jus added another line to this existing file.

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows VISTA"

Actually this is how i used to achieve multiboot option with multiple Windows OS , like XP ,98 , 2000 on same machine .

But this time it is not working for some reason or so .... Again i emphasise that there was no formatting done and vista's WINDOWS folder and system files are still intact .
But i am not able to figure out how to load the lappy wiht Vista.
I ll give a shot with VISTA BOOT PRO 3.3 but if there is any other alternative .. please suggest me .. :)

Posted 6 years ago

jpb12

Hello

I have this problem: I got Windows Vista on my computer with a partition created. I installed Windows XP in the partition, then after format the pertition and installed XP, when the computer reboot it give me an error: " An disk read error ocurred "
Ctrl+Atl+Del to Reset

Can this problem be resolve without format the hard drive. I have data on the disk.

Thaks in advance for your help.

Posted 6 years ago

michael
michael

@ anmolbhalla - Try partitioning your drive and use BootMagic.

@ jpb12 - I have looked into this. It appears not. =( If you want to dual boot, use above suggestion.

--
Mike

Posted 6 years ago

calliemoonbeam

I have the same issue as Larry100, above, which was never addressed. When I got to the point of installing XP, I got a message that said it would not install because "the version of Windows on the computer is newer than the version on the disk". I desperately need to get this going ASAP, as it means losing a very lucrative job if I don't. Help please!?!

Posted 6 years ago

michael
michael

Right. You have to make sure that the new partition is not formatted, blank and you setup from DOS.

--
Mike

Posted 6 years ago

calliemoonbeam

Hi Mike. It says it's "Unallocated", that means not formatted right? So, after I boot up, I select the DOS prompt from the "All Programs" list? Then what is the specific command I type into DOS? Sorry, but it's been many many moons since I did anything in DOS, lol. Do I just type "setup.exe", or "run setup.exe", or what? Thanks so much for your help!

Posted 6 years ago

calliemoonbeam

Okay, actually I tried booting it with the CD in this morning and it worked, sort of. It went into setup, but when it asks me where to install it, it only shows the C: drive and doesn't show the other partition I made. Do I have to go back and delete the partition and start all over from scratch? How can I get it to recognize the partition? I checked it, and it hasn't been formatted. Arrrgghh! lol

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.