The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

HOWTO: Windows XP Install on a Vista Computer

(58 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by The Geek
  • Latest reply from vistatroubled
  • Topic Viewed 141628 times

ajf355

I have created a new partition for XP but have not yet assigned a drive letter, but the drive letters C-I cannot be changed for program reasons, and i was wondering could I put it to any other drive letter, adn if so, would XP still install and work on it?

btw, it is a 10Gb partition
I run Vista Home Premium
My drives are as follows
C - (RECOVERY)
D - (Hard Drive)
E - (DVD-RW Drive)
drives F to I are all card readers so cannot be changed
(just in case this info is helpful)
Thank You

Posted 6 years ago

ajf355

Sorry! got a lot of questions-worried for my pc its brand new so dont want it wrecked!

If I were to put a completely blank hard drive into my computer then try to boot would it work (is there a BIOS?) if there is one would I be able to go to BIOS & change it to boot from CD so that it will install XP? Would I actually be able to install XP when the hard drive is blank?
Thank You

Posted 6 years ago

michael
michael

1. Yes, you're PC has a BIOS.

2. Yes, if you swapped the Hard Drive you could go into the BIOS to switch it to CD.

3. Yes, that's the point of the XP CD.

--
Mike

Posted 6 years ago

larrylang

I have a 4 year old windows xp home system. I would like to dual boot with a newer installation of windows xp to clean the system up gradually. I cleared a 30GB partition with Partition Magic 8 and created a clean D: with NTFS formatting as a primary partition. I want the new installation to be D: as I have other things labeled E,F,G,H,I...
the windows XP install disk wants it to be L:. How can I make it be D:? I thought of unplugging the 2nd internal hard drive but the CD/DVD drive would probably default to D: anyway. Any ideas?

Reports: 1 · Posted 6 years ago

gnomorito

hello, i hope somebody can help me, when i boot with the xp cd ,and it starts the installation,it says that the computer will restart to finish the installation, but once it has restarted it just freezes and nothing else happens,i´ve already tried it several times and its always the same.

Posted 6 years ago

samwise

Hello, I have a HP DV9610 US laptop which came with Windows Vista Preinstalled. I tried installing Windows XP on a seperate partition which i created by means of shrink option in Vista. After installing Xp on that partition it booted only into XP and I am encountering quite a few problems, I dont have wireless, wired Lan, sound or display working properly. I tried installing the drivers for my model from the HP Website but that also didnt solve the issue. Now I am stuck since I cannot install the bootloader software since it needs to download .net and i can in no ways connect to the internet. Can somebody please help me with the same.

Posted 6 years ago

trrymn

Hey Geeks

I have followed all the instruction and read the others comments but this problem is different can you help.

boot from XP cd after shrinking the volume C But after loading file screen turns in blue and gives error 0×000007e ——————pci.sys Any solution

Posted 6 years ago

Ragnark

Ive seen a couple of questions unanswered SO PLEASE somebody give me a solution! I followed the guide to partition a drive space for XP. After the steps to installing XP it wouldn't read my partition but was solved by someone in this forum which i thank. I needed to change my BIOS setting to disable SATA and after that installation was a success. Now with XP installed Im left with the problem of no wireless or any type of connection, no sound and who knows what else. Im not much knowlegdeable with computers but i manage with surfing the net for answers. SO please what can I do from here since i dont have internet connection even with LAN(land line connection right?). In other words what can i download, what websites and so on. MUCH APPRECIATED. By the way i have a HP Pavilion dv6000. Want to purchase software for music which I will utilize for career purposes.

-Ragnark 12/7/07

Posted 6 years ago

Guresh

Hi Geeks,
I am using dv2000 series HP laptop and model is DV2601TU.
I followed the series of steps posted in this site.
i successsfully installed the XP on my pre installed VISTA laptop and i am able to boot XP without problems.
But here i am getting one strange problem:
if i am trying to install vistabootpro.exe, the window is opening and it is exiting immediately and before running this i am trying to install .NET Framework 2.0 which is also exiting immediately before i am trying to take the control for to click the next button.

not only these two, every folder which i opned automatically exiting after 5 seconds.
can anybody help what might be the problem.

and one more doubt is for to install Vistabootpro.exe we need internet connect for my laptop? why i am asking because while installing the .exe which i have with me in USB it is opening one window for to connect internet?

can i install Vistabootpro.exe XP.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks,
Guresh.

Posted 6 years ago

Guresh

Hi Geeks,
I reinstalled XP and try to fix out the problem.
i found that once i start to run the Microsoft .NET framework 2.0 exe the above problem is coming.

and one more problem is if iam trying to install conexant high defination audio driver it is giving the problem like "No media device found in your system".

i am suspecting that is my XP installed properly or not? what is the wrong i did?

while slipstreaming the drivers i gave only driver for SATA drive support.

- Intel(R) 82801HEM SATA AHCI Controller (Mobile ICH8M-E)

only above driver i added? is it correct?
why so many device drivers i am not able to see in device manager?

Thanks guys.
Guresh.

Posted 6 years ago

Bigk99

I'm having a problem and was hoping to get some help with it. It's kind of a strange deal.
So, I have 3 partitions on my computer a 50 gig for Vista, an 80 gig for data, and a 20 gig for xp. The first OS I installed was Vista business on C:\ my Data is on D:\ and I have an unformatted 20gig ready for XP. This is where I ran into problems.
I started to install XP on the 20gig, got to where I needed to put in a cd key, and mine didnt work so I had to quit. I restarted the computer thinking it would boot to Vista, but it gave me the error
"Cannot start windows, missing file <system root>\system32\hal.dll>"
So what I'm assuming is that windows is trying to boot to XP and not finding anything. Vista is still installed on C:\
So my question I guess is, "How do I boot to Vista now" Oh, and I don't have the Vista CD.
Thanks much,
Kevin.

Posted 6 years ago

Bigk99

I have an update on this. I've been looking around and discovered that by trying to install XP, I just overwrote the boot files Vista needs, and this would be fixable by using VistaBootPRO, except for the fact that, as I said, I couldn't actually finish the XP install. So as far as I see it I have two options, I can get a copy of the Windows Vista DVD to use the recovery console, or get a working CD key for XP so I can use VistaBootPRO.

Which actually brings up another question, the CD key I have I got through the Microsoft Academic Alliance program, and its for XP with Service Pack 2, the CD I'm using for the install doesnt say XP SP2 on it, Just windows XP Professional, is this the same thing?

And finally, can anyone support my way to fix this or provide other solutions?

Again, Thanks much.
Kevin

Posted 6 years ago

Ragnark

UPDATE: I manage to get the switch boot menu between xp and vista on my laptop,HP Pavilion dv6335us Entertainment Notebook PC. I had to insert Vista DVD installation (which came with my laptop) and while in XP go to Command Prompt under administrator and type in the following.Windows\system32
change to CD dive letter and colon,e.g. E:, type"cd boot"
then run command: Bootsect/nt60 C:(vista)
restart machine and it should boot to VIsta with no access to XP.
Go to Command Prompt again under administrator and type the following :
1.Bcdedit_/create_{ntldr}_/d_"Windows_XP" (underscore means space and include " "on XP typing)
2.Bcdedit_/set_{ntldr}_device_partition=D:(D being XP)
3.bcdedit /set {ntldr} path \ntldr
4.Bcdedit /displayorder :ntldr} /addlast
Restart Computer.

If you get a status :"oxcoooooof" error with "Windows failed to Load" you must transfer the NTDECTEC file and NTLDR file from XP cd (hidden) on folder i386 to your XP partition on the first window you go into when clicking XP drive.

PROBLEM SO HELP ME: This will give you a boot menu for XP and Vista EXCEPT that im stuck on this part because when it does give me the menu its half a second and I want to know if someone can help me to enable more time on it to choose between them so HELP! I still dont have internet access, audio,e.g. even after downloading drivers on HP website for XP. So if anyone can help me in this final step please help oh and i haven't registered XP since i cant get online. Hope I can help some of you with what i got so far.

Posted 6 years ago

Bigk99

fixed it

Posted 6 years ago

Ragnark

I downloaded EasyBCD (link below) and this allowed me to go under the settings of this program to adjust the timing on my boot menu to select between OS. Now I can choose between Vista or XP. Now Im just left with finding the right drivers for sound, internet access for XP. If anyone knows of any websites for HP Pavilion dv6335us drivers, let me know since HP's website drivers doesn't do anything.

Easy Bcd link: http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1

Posted 6 years ago

heyguys

After wrestling with this for a few days, I have it to a point where Vista works fine, but Windows XP will not load. I do have ntldr, ntdetect.com, and boot.ini in the root of the D:\ drive (which is where I have Windows XP). Trying to load Windows XP gives me a screen which says this:

"Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:

1. Insert your Windows installation disc and restart your computer.
2. Choose your language settings, and then click 'Next'.
3. Click 'Repair your computer.'

If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufactuer for assistance.

File: \windows\system32\boot\winload.exe
Info: The selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt."

Actually trying to follow those steps did not do anything interesting for me, it just tries to install Windows XP over again, which I canceled out of. It is right when it says the file it wants does not exist (I checked and there is no winload.exe on D:\ anywhere), but I am not sure what to do to make it exist.

Posted 6 years ago

Cub941

Hi, I have partitioned my hard drive already and I am trying to install XP but when I get to the setup screen where it says, press enter to setup up XP. For some reason when i press enter nothing happens and I dont know why and was hoping someone would be able to help me, thanks.

Posted 6 years ago

vistatroubled

Hi Guys/Geek/Mike,
I have a big problem here.My laptop is a Pre-Installed Windows Vista Compaq Presario C717NR.After buying this I did not created the backup CD's and only by reading this article went for the Dualboot of having XP. I created the other partition fine and disabled the SATA settings and installed windows XP unsuccessfully. Before doing all these steps I did not install either this VistaBootPRO_3.3.0.exe or dotnetfx.exe (dotnet framework) . As most of you faced the problem I also faced the same problem. When I boot my laptop I lost Vista and for XP it was giving me the error message NTLDR is missing. I copied all the 3 files from c drive ( Vista) to d drive (XP) using the XP recovery Console (boot.ini,ntldr and ntdetect.com) but still no use. I have copied VistaBootPRO_3.3.0.exe , dotnetfx.exe and SATA drivers in a flash drive but my problem is how to install them as I have only DOS access and on DOS it is not recognizing the USB flash drive.I even tried creating a CD but that also did not help as once I boot from CD I can't change the CD in CD drive.I do not have a floppy drive.
With this horrible experience I don't want XP installed on my laptop I just want my Windows Vista back . How I can achieve that ? Or what is the way to install VistaBootPro when I can't take out the WinXP CD out from CD drive and it does not recognize the USB flash Drive.
Please help, I have an assignment to finish and without having either XP or Vista it is big problem to me.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.