How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

HOWTO: Windows XP Install on a Vista Computer

(58 posts)
  • Started 7 years ago by The Geek
  • Latest reply from vistatroubled
  • Topic Viewed 141628 times

michael
michael

Right. When it says Unallocated, it means that it is not formatted. Right click it, and click Format. =) It should automagically assign it a drive letter. Then go in XP Setup from DOS and blah blah *FORMAT* :D

Let me know if it works, dude.

--
Mike

Posted 6 years ago

calliemoonbeam

Hi,sorry it took me so long to get back, had to work a full shift today. I formatted the partition and it has a letter, but XP setup still doesn't recognize it. There are actually two partitions besides the C: drive, the one I set up for XP and the one for the recovery drive, and it doesn't show up in XP set up either. Any other suggestions? I'm losing my mind...or what's left of it, lol. I've searched the internet for hours, tried numerous "solutions" and posted on two other message boards, but I haven't even gotten a reply anywhere else. Thanks so much for your help! I was supposed to have this ready to go Monday morning for the new job. :(

Posted 6 years ago

calliemoonbeam

Oh, forgot to add - when I get into XP Setup, it asks if I want to create a partition, so I thought what the heck, maybe I can create it from here, but absolutely nothing happens when I click on C like it tells me to. Any thoughts there?

Posted 6 years ago

michael
michael

Do you have recovery discs for your system which will work without the recovery partition? If you do, I would blank the entire discs, and start from scratch.

--
Mike

Posted 6 years ago

MikeSchuler

Has anybody accomplished this on a Gateway Computer? After the eula I get the page that says:

"The following list shows the existing partitions and unpartitioned space on this computer.

Use the UP and DOWN keys to select an item in the list."

But the only thing in the list are the words "Unkown Disk" and "[There is no disk in this drive]" repeated four times. Nothing is highlighted. If you push an arrow button, the computer shuts down instantly with a blue screen error message. I've read and tried everything on this site to no avail.

I'm a sign maker, not a computer tech. My art station computer was worn out and I bought this new Gateway not realizing that my $4,500 worth of sign making software won't run on Vista. It would be nice if I could just convert this thing to straight XP. I don't need Vista for anything. I was able to download the XP drivers for this computer from the Gateway support site and updated the BIOS with them and it still just shows "[There is no disk in this drive]" in that list.

If nobody has accomplished this on a Gateway, then I guess I'll just have to give up, take my loss, and order a Dell. They are still selling XP computers, thankfully.

p.s. ~ I'm using a Windows XP Home Edition full installation disk that I bought at Staples for $200. I noticed the instructions use a Pro edition. Could that be the difference?

Posted 6 years ago

calliemoonbeam

Michael, thanks so much for your help and patience. Hope I'm not making you as crazy as this thing is making me, lol. I created recovery CDs when I first got the computer home, 15 of them! But I'm not sure I can handle all of that. I'm no techie either! I do know how to go into the recovery system and take it back to a previous restore date, so would it be like that, only tell it to wipe it clean? I had massive problems with my old computer and had to restore it a few times, wanted to wipe clean and start over, but I was afraid to try that!

After wiping it clean, then do I just shut it down with the XP CD in and then start up again and it will start a new install? Then how do I know I won't run into the same problems when I try to partition a wall and add Vista back in? Sorry for all the questions. I thought I was pretty good with computers until this stuff. If this is all too much trouble, I'll just wait until I can hire Geek Squad or someone to come in and do it for me. Unfortunately, that will be too late to save the current great job I'm trying to get, but at least I'll be ready for future possibilities. Thanks again!

Posted 6 years ago

michael
michael

Wait. 15 Recovery CD's for Vista? Sounds very harsh.

As for your problem: yeah, tell it to wipe it.

And yeah, for question three, yeah. =)

--
Mike

Posted 6 years ago

Graywer

"I have this problem: I got Windows Vista on my computer with a partition created. I installed Windows XP in the partition, then after format the pertition and installed XP, when the computer reboot it give me an error: ' An disk read error ocurred '
Ctrl+Atl+Del to Reset"

I also have this issue, and now cannot access Windows Vista. I'm stuck in a loop of either being asked to boot from a CD (do steps over again to install XP), or do nothing and get the "disk read error" message. Is there a workaround this? I am trying to install Windows XP Professional into a pre-installed Windows Vista Home Premium HP.

Posted 6 years ago

michael
michael

Hmmz. Try just installing XP with no Vista at all.

--
Mike

Posted 6 years ago

jet431

OK, here's my input after several evenings frustration in dual booting my HP Laptop.
I have bought a HP Pavilion dv6570ed preinstalled Vista Home Premium, core 2 duo mobile t5250, 965 intel mobile chipset, 3100 intel graphics accelerator, 120 gb toshiba hdd

I started following the guides in the forum here in partitioning a 20 gb drive called D: for my XP boot. Still had an old XPSP1 pro version, so no sata drivers, so I got the message no HDD 's found. I followed the guide on slipstreaming SP2 in it and the SATA drivers. I found the f6flpy32 on the intel website. I have an intel mobile 965 chipset, so you have to check your chipset. In the search box just put f6flpy32 and you'll get about 200 results at intel, so it really is out there!

Slipstreamed this also in the iso and then installed XP with the new image.
It did install, hoorah, but then I was missing a whole lot of drivers. No help from HP, the telephone support jut kept saying I should install my recovery disc.

On the HP website were only three drivers:
-The touchpad
-The quicklaunch buttons
-The wireless assistant.
I installed these, but was still missing wireless network connection, wired network connection, audio and graphics......not good.

I went to intel first again:
Downloaded the chipset installation utility ich8 for mobile 965 chipset
Downloaded the matrix storage manager for mobile 965 chipset
Downloaded the intel pro/wireless 3945 (under WIFI)
Downloaded the graphics accelerator for mobile 965 chipset

And installed all these, my wireless was now working, the graphics were much better, but was still missing my wired network and audio

I went to realtek:
Downloaded the realtek high definition audio codec
Downloaded the RTL 8101 PCI Express family driver NIC

And installed these, my wired network was now working, but still no audio.

It seemed that something called Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator was still (under system devices in device manager) missing some drivers. I needed two files, swenum.sys and swenum.inf to install this. swenum.sys was to be found in the system32 folder, the other one I found somewhere on a forum.

After these were installed, my audio was working!!!!!!!!!!! And by now it was actually working pretty smooth!

I found the driver for the Ricoh 5-in1 card reader in a link in one of the above forums and am still missing the modem, but who cares about that......no one is using that anymore. It only found the modem after I installed the swenum files, before that it didnt even see it.....

Than I connected to MS update and installed about 90 updates and was ready to further install my programs. All seems to be working fine!!!!!

Thanx for all the great guides and help on this forum, otherwise I never would have realized my dual boot!!!! My tip is to really carefully read the guides!!! It took a few tries before I had it all going all right!

Greetz mariette

Posted 6 years ago

michael
michael

Thanks for posting your solution. Well done!!! =)

--
Mike

Posted 6 years ago

winklist

I have a DELL pc that had Vista pre-installed. I wanted to install XP on it on another partition. I have used Gparted (Gnome Partition Editor) to create another partition for XP. XP installation was smooth with no problems; the usual Vista bootloader issue was there where VIsta was no longer bootable. I did the startup recovery and bingo-bango, Vista was back.
I even have both VIstabootpro and EasyBCD on the machine where it detects the XP install. I did the "install vistabootloader" on all drives option; I get the two OS on the boot screen. When I choose Vista, no problem. When I choose XP, it gives the boot manager error saying Bootloader is corrupt and needs to be repaired.

Help! When I select XP as the default start-up, then it doesn't even give the dual-OS option at boot and goes into XP without any problems. How do I ensure XP loads properly when selected? I've done startup repairs on both OS and have configured VIstabootpro and EasyBCD properly.

Thank you!

Posted 6 years ago

galileo

My problem is alot like the one of Calliemoonbeam.

I bought a new Acer computer and Vista installed itself from a hidden partition the first time i turned it on.

I use Vista's computer manager to partition, format NTFS and re-assign drive letter as explain in the how-to guide. But this utility won't let me do anything with the 9Gb hidden partition that occupy spaces before C:.

When I boot from XP installation disk, it stop saying that there's a problem with my HD and suggests that i check for virus. I guess it's that hidden partition that causes this.

Maybe i could wipe the drive completely as was suggested above, but i find it a bit scary since i had absolutely no vista's installation disk with the computer.

The only thing I have is the recovery DVD's i burned but I'm not completely sure that i can use those DVDs to bring the computer back to factory default if vista is completely wiped out of the drive.

Any idea
Thanks
Galileo

Posted 6 years ago

slug6

Ok I got interested in this topic and found this forum, yada yada yada. Now someone forgot to mention there are only so many partitions allowed. I tried this dual-boot project on my kid's new Dell with Vista Home Premium, as he wanted to run software that wouldn't run on Vista. Now this baby had a second drive letter already installed (Dell Recovery drive evidently. I did the Shrink volume thing, which seemed to go ok but when I tried creating the new Simple Volume, it wouldn't create it. I got a message saying there was no room for the partition. So, I figured XP would take care of the problem, but no luck. It tells me there are already the maximum number of partitions created. No I am stuck with 12 gb of unusable space that was created by the Shrink process. WHAT ever do I do now to get some use out of that space, or is there another option that will get me where I want to be, which is with XP and Vista? Is there any hope???

Posted 6 years ago

chigs

Hi All,

I have purchased a laptop having OS Windows Vista Premium with PHOENIX BIOS.
This BIOS locks out installation of any other OS. Kindly help me how to handle this.

Can I change the BIOS ? or I have some wrong information ?

Br,
Chigs

Posted 6 years ago

chigs

HP Pavilion dv2500 laptop is the Product number

Br,
Chigs

Posted 6 years ago

Johnomatic

I read most of the questions, but none of them had this specific question. I followed all of the steps on this site and got to the point where I install XP, but at the spot where you choose the partion I got held up. My partition named XP wasn't there. I did restart my computer. Any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posted 6 years ago

Johnomatic

Nevermind... after many hours of making partitions and testing thought I'd try a different windows xp cd I had and for some reason that showed both partitions and so my problem was xp cd that I had. Thanks for reading. I know you'd have helped me if you read this so thanks anyways.

Posted 6 years ago

Spike

I started to install XP on my partition and was goin well. After it installed some files it said computer will restart and install will continue to finish. Prob is now all i get is 'A disk read error ocurred' press Ctrl+Atl+Del to Restart. I cant get past this message so now I cant on computer at all, not even on vista. What now? BTW this is a self built gaming desktop appox. 1yr old and the only reason im tryin to install XP is for game compatablity reasons.

Posted 6 years ago

shannon

has anyone tried using microsoft virtual pc to install xp on a new pre loaded hp 9500t 64 bit vista ultimate system? I am also wanting to move my xp only legacy programs to the new system. Anyway to accomplish this? Thanks!

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.