How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

how would you .....

(34 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by Smashpmk712
  • Latest reply from Appletom
  • Topic Viewed 3110 times

Smashpmk712
Smashpmk712

how would you guys destroy 30+ hard drive platters? I have to destroy them for work and I am trying to thing of the best way to do it .... maybe even the most creative or fun way .... so, any thoughts?

Posted 6 years ago

Budohorseman
Budohorseman

liquid nitrogen bath + sledgehammer....
but more practically just a couple of whacks with a hammer is all it will take. And then if you want to be extra sure, a nice caustic bath in a bucket--dissolve some Red Devil Lye in a big plastic bucket, add HDD's and let them soak for a hour or two. Carefully pour out the solution and then rinse them off before you pick them up.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Are we allowed to talk about home-made explosives here? (works well with the first suggestion from Budohorseman)

Posted 6 years ago

Smashpmk712
Smashpmk712

see normally I would just scratch the crap out of them and be done with it but the home-made explosives are starting to sound fun ... also I found this while I was waiting for a few responses. http://hackedgadgets.com/2007/.....otorcycle/

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

At the next road construction site you may find a handy steamroller. Give the man 10 bucks and he will be happy to do it. Then they become part of the road.

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

I found the following site looking online a little while ago: http://www.amherst.edu/~note/h.....index.html
It lists a few ways to destroy drives and videos of them doing so too.

Posted 6 years ago

Smashpmk712
Smashpmk712

now.... if only I had a little liquid nitrogen and some TNT.....

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

No need for TNT. What you've got in the house/garage/garden shed should do it

Posted 6 years ago

ax0n

Okay, but seriously, just put several holes through each with a drill then fill them up with "liquid nails" or some other glue that will set like concrete.

Done it before and it is fairly quick to do.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Loads of liquid nitrogen in California

Posted 6 years ago

pipo
pipo

...this is why you shouldn't mess with a geek... hahahaha

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

throw of high building to concrete or other hard surface

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

That's no fun, besides, you might hurt an innocent passerby (or a robber fleeing the scene) Hopefuuly the 2nd choice

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

that would be kinda funny

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

And be a public service

Posted 6 years ago

ThornyCrown

SO how did you end up destroying the drive platters?
If you haven't taken car of them yet, you could try getting a friend with a front wheel drive car, put the platters in front of the rear tires, roll the car onto them, pull up the handbrake and sink the right foot into the carpet. Not only is that method effective, but it is loads of fun.

Thorn

P.S. Don't do a burnout on the platters, we did manage to destroy the data on them, but I owed a guy a new radiator timing belt. :-(

Posted 6 years ago

Smashpmk712
Smashpmk712

HAHA .... well i have seen that done with food service trays ... but won't a HDD platter be too small?

Posted 6 years ago

ThornyCrown

They are almost too small. We done it with a Toyota Corolla with very narrow tires.
And yeah, McDonalds trays was where I got the idea from. I'm going to find a roadwork site and ask them to do what WHS suggested. Maybe when my kids have grown up we can drive past it and I can say "I put that there 25 years ago" lol

ThornyCrown

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Depending on where you live. It may not be there in 25 years

Posted 6 years ago

taybay
taybay

You could microwave them. Far from your house, of course.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.