The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

(Solved) - how to wipe hard drive without loosing O/S

(12 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by secretmechanism
  • Latest reply from secretmechanism
  • Topic Viewed 732 times

secretmechanism

Hi all iv recently purchased a new much needed pc but before i hook the new pc up i want to wipe the old one clean but keeping the O/S as im giving it to my brother to use,its windows vista basic 32bit,i do not have a cd as the O/S was pre installed i do however have a recovery disk or disks as there are 13 of them,any advise on how to proceed would be appreciated,happy to give more info if required,thank you

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

If the system has a Product Key Sticker for the Windows Vista Version on the bottom/back then any borrowed Install disk of the same version should reinstall it. Take a system image for backup then wipe it completely and reinstall the OS.

Posted 1 year ago

secretmechanism

Thanks Xhi iv read about that but dont know anyone with an install disk,is there another way

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Yes,
http://www.askvg.com/direct-do.....28AskVG%29

http://jimcofer.com/personal/2.....0%9D-disc/

Then do as Xhi says.

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

secretmechanism

I love this place thank you Lighthouse and Xhi

Posted 1 year ago

germ-x
germ-x

Don't know if i understand but if you attempt to install your old O/S from your old PC onto the new PC you probably will get the BSOD as the drivers will not match unless your new PC is the exact model as your old one.
That said you can either use the links Lighthouse posted or just use your recovery disks as they should recover your old PC to factory spec's

Posted 1 year ago

secretmechanism

Hi germ-x im not i just wanted to wipe my old comp before i pass it on,iv brought a new pc with windows 8

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Just to add, I am not keen on the modern "recovery" system method. And will always re-install with a full installation disk.
btw, do you want to nuke your drive completely first ?

Posted 1 year ago

secretmechanism

I just want to remove all my files, pics,documents,ect and leave the O/S so brother can use,the above links seem to be for windows 7,im running windows vista basic at the mo

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Have you backed up your data ?

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

Interjection, there is a facility in Ccleaner that might help you.
Ensure your data is copied.

In Tools, select Drivewiper, select free space, and in the security drop down box select 'complex overwrite'

Mike

Posted 1 year ago

secretmechanism

Yes on an external drive,can i then use this even though im starting on a new pc with windows 8,iv also just read that if i put the first recovery disk in and then re-start the pc, during start-up press f8 this should open boot menu and go from there, once all the disks have been inserted the O/S should have been installed minus all my files,folders,pics,ect,this is for Packard Bell iMedia B2217uk i cant find my manual so i cant confirm that its the right action for this pc,im currently looking on there web site

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!