SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

(Solved) - How to use black ink cartridge as default one?

(27 posts)
  • Started 3 years ago by billy12345
  • Latest reply from G41M
  • Topic Viewed 2314 times

billy12345

Before I go to print something (and 99% time I want just black), I have to change preference to the black ink cartridge because it is always on the color one. But it never stays on the black one, the next time I go to print something, it's on the color one again. HP Officejet 5610 All-in-One.

Posted 3 years ago

Seasider2
Seasider2

Close any open applications from which you intend to print.
Type “devices” in the search box. Click on Devices and Printers. Right-click on the printer icon.
Left-click Printing Preferences. Click Advanced tab. Tick Black Ink Only box. Click Apply, OK.
Note: Any changes made in this manner i.e. entering the Properties via the printers folder, will be saved as the default settings unless changed. If you want to print in colour in the future, you will have to revert the changes.
Any changes made in the printer Properties/Printing Preferences via an application you are printing from will be for that print job only or only for that session m the application.

That's the way I did it for mine, Windows 7. Other OS may be different.

Posted 3 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

You should be able to create a NEW PRINTER and in that PRINTER name it B/W at the end. Edit the preferences to be black and white and save it. Exactly how to do this varies with each printer. You should see PROFILES somewhere that you'd save the changes too. Make 2 printer's, one with the default profile and the other with the changed one to be B/W or GRAYSCALE.

Irv S.

Posted 3 years ago

ronniesonora

You don't have to change the preference to black to print black. If it is set to "color"it will print the color your printing. If you are printing black & white it will print black & white. If your printing red & blue it will print red & blue.

Posted 3 years ago

Seasider2
Seasider2

ronniesonora. By selecting the option Print Black Ink Only, the printer does exactly that. It uses black ink only. Otherwise the printer will use black ink and all the other inks on top to increase the depth of ink and produce a stronger image.
Selecting the Print Black Ink Only option saves having to replace colour cartridges so often. If any cartridge runs out the printer may not work, some ink has to be in every cartridge to prevent air from entering so running on empty is not an option.
Billy12345 wants to stay on the black only option and my first post is how it is done in most cases. For the occasional colour print the colour option can be chosen in that application. It is just a couple of clicks.

Posted 3 years ago

ronniesonora

In that case I think I would change the preference to Fast/Economical Printing.

Posted 3 years ago

billy12345

Thanks, but I don't get it, too complicated, I'm thinking there must be an easier way to make the default printer be the black ink cartridge instead of the color one. I'll keep poking around, hope I can eventually find some way to do it.

Posted 3 years ago

billy12345

Seasider2 - I don't get your "search box" thing, must be becasue I am XP, not W7 as you are.

Posted 3 years ago

warlock
warlock

Print in greyscale

Posted 3 years ago

vistamike
vistamike

Moved to xp forum

Posted 3 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

Yes, create a new profile that is for black, and then for the default printer LOAD that profile and save the printer.

If you think the 'black' is black when you have not told the printer to use black only, get a magnifying glass and look at the letters... you'll see many colors there and in some printer output you will NOT see any black.

Irv S.

Posted 3 years ago

G41M

billy12345,

In XP it's in Start > Printers and Faxes. In my opinion, I'll go to Seasider2 on this. Changing printer preferences (Use Black and White} this way makes the changes permanent and system-wide. There's no need to create different profiles so as not to complicate things since billy12345 will use this profile 99%. One can also change preferences before printing within softwares such MS Word but is applicable only at that session and the settings are not saved (wherein which billy12345 can use during 1% of his printing).

Posted 3 years ago

billy12345

When I change printer preferences to the black ink, it only does it for that print job. The next time I go to use it, it's back on the color one.

Posted 3 years ago

G41M

Where did you change the printer preferences? From Printers and Faxes? Or from the within the software where you had the print job? Also, are you log in with an administrator account?

Posted 3 years ago

billy12345

Before I print, I go to file/print/preferences/color/black print cartridge only. I don't know anything about administrator account, I never log in a special way just to print something.

Posted 3 years ago

ronniesonora

If you must have black only, open HP solution center. In the bottom right corner click on setting. when that opens click on printer settings. when that window opens you will see color & greyscale, tick the greyscale and click OK.

Posted 3 years ago

billy12345

ronniesonora - When I open HP solution center, in the bottom LEFT I have settings...I click on that, there is print settings...then printer settings...which brings up the HP 5600 properties window with all the tabs, and I go to the color tab, which is the same one I use when I am ready to print something and I am changing it to the black, as I said previously where it does not stay there.

Posted 3 years ago

ronniesonora

You should also see a tab (printing shortcuts) click on the tab and in the lower right corner you'll see a box that is (printing in grayscale) which will probably show (off) click on the pulldown and change to black/grey photo cartridge only then click ok.

Posted 3 years ago

billy12345

The tabs are : Paper/Quality, Finishing, Effects, Basics, Color, Services.

Posted 3 years ago

ronniesonora

In the color tab tick the print in greyscale box then is there a box with (high quality) in it. If so click on the pulldown menu and change it to black/grey photo cartridge only.

Posted 3 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.