SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

How To Upgrade BIOS without a current OS ?

(8 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by djhull3917
  • Latest reply from djhull3917
  • Topic Viewed 697 times

djhull3917

Hi there;

Recently I was installing windows 7 on a vista computer, halfway through the installation i had a powecut ruining the installation process, i now need to do a clean install on my pc using a usb stick, When i run through the BIOS the option "Boot From Removable Devices" does not appear- i do not have a cd. I Am Operating On A Phoenix AwardBios ---HP Slimline ., How do i update the BIOS when i do not have an OS ? I need to update it so i can use the "boot from removable devices" option.

Thanks Guys !!

HP SlimLine 3000 series

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

djhull3917 hi. Where did you see that a BIOS update would even give you that option ?

Posted 1 year ago

djhull3917

From various websites---- they indicate that updrading bios allows the pc to reconise hardware to boot from...?

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Can you post your Service Tag please.

http://www.ehow.com/how_502229.....os-os.html
May not be F12 for your machine.

Posted 1 year ago

djhull3917

well im running on phoenix award bios v.5.08 if that helps?

Im Currently in I.T class but will check when i get home....

Posted 1 year ago

Kelen
Kelen

Fisrt you should just try using either F9 or Esc while booting and already have your usb plugged in before you power up. Those two keys are often used by HP for there boot menu options.

Second you could try going into the BIOS setup menus and seeing if you can enable the option from there. F2 or F10 will get you there most times.

If your gonna try a BIOS update first find out what revsion you have(i see v.5.08 is posted), then check hp's website for a newer one, review every bios update that came after yours to see if such a feature was placed in as new or fixed. If not then flashing the bios would be pointless for the most part.

If you still want to anyways, just download the file, look through for insructions or readme files before you attempt for specific instructions. Some will allow you to make a bootable cd/usb but alot of them now run through windows.

HIGHLY RECCOMEND that you be plugged into a known good battery backup before you try a bios update.

Posted 1 year ago

oldgeezer

Exactly what files do you have on the USB drive? Have you thought abut getting the files burnt to a DVD and then boot from that ?

I'm guessing it's a Win7 Pro upgrade download that you have - this may not work anyway as it really needs a working Vista installation to run from. Have you still got the Vista recovery partition on the computer?

Posted 1 year ago

djhull3917

yes how do i boot up recovery vista?

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!