How-To Geek Forums / Linux

How to Triple Boot Win 7 / 8 / Linux Mint 14

(35 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by archp2008
  • Latest reply from presence1960
  • Topic Viewed 3910 times

presence1960
presence1960

Sorry whs, recall that's why I joined HTG to become more versed in windows, but I think you get the point.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

No problem. I just wanted to set the record straight.

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960
presence1960

I just realized what I need to do. I joined here to increase my windows knowledge and that is going to be my only function here. When it comes to linux I will stick to ubuntu forums where most people want to learn about linux, especially dual boot or multi boot installations (including on OEMs) since most people going to linux have specialty software that will run only in windows or are gamers or don't want to ditch windows altogether. I think it is safe to say my linux talents are put to better use in there. Problem solved.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

I think you are right. People that come here with Linux questions are normally Windows users that want to experiment with a Linux distro. They need no hard core Linux installation and wrestle with the GRUB, the linux partition formats, etc.. For those guys we should make it easy to get in and out of Linux as smoothly as possible.

Now once in a while there is an OP who is using Linux as main OS. Questions that those people have fall more into your area of competence and your skills will be very valuable to answer their questions. So why don't you play it by ear.

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960
presence1960

Thanks whs, but I think it better to do what I say. if they have questions about linux they can find me in ubuntu forums, I go by same screen name in there. They can even PM me from ubuntu forums. Plus there are a vast amount of experienced linux users in that forum besides myself who want to help those with problems. I want to increase my windows knowledge and will stick to that in here. Better do one thing well than many badly.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

I am a member of the Linux forums and ask questions there. The guys are very nice but the answers come in small doses. I also tried the Zorin forum, but they were not so nice and I dropped it. Besides they had a very strange forum engine that was really retarded. I think I even have a membership in the Ubuntu forum but have not used it in years.

PS: Yeah, I just looged into the Ubuntu forum. They still remembered me, LOL.

Maybe you can answer a question right here: How do I increase the DPI of the screen. In Windows I run with a DPI of 150% (because of my poor vision). In Zorin and Mint I have not found that setting.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

@ presence - I just made a post on the Ubuntu forum. My previous post was from 2010. But I have 11 beans - is that good or bad ??

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960
presence1960

No more linux in HTG for me. You guys seem very intent on keeping the status quo however right or wrong that may be. I will not rock the boat, I just want to learn more about windows. So I respectfully will not participate in or answer anything to do with linux in HTG. I will do my linux work in ubuntu forums when I have the time to do so.

I am quite sure if you post in ubuntu forums my friends in there will get you a quick response. Sorry, it has to be this way for everyone's peace.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

The first thing I got with my first post after 3 years absence is that some eager mod moved and changed my post (I had used a different font size because else the text got lost between my pics). It was a thread about Desktop shortcuts. Several fellows posted their experience and problems - so did I with a couple of snips from Zorin. But since it came from Zorin, the mod moved it to "Other Distros"where it will probably rot.

Now I know why I did not like the Ubuntu forum. Changing my post without asking is not something I appreciate. I guess my next post will be in another 3 years.

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960
presence1960

Don't take it personally whs, every forum has "rules" and etiquette. HTG and Ubuntu forums are no exception. They have rules about pic size and fonts, as well as lengthy text. On lengthy text you are supposed to use Wrap [Code] on the toolbar to place lengthy text. You don't have to like ubuntu forums, all my friends can't be your friends and vice versa. But that doesn't stop us from getting along. That doesn't mean everyone in ubuntu forums is a friend of mine. However I have made more than a few from that forum over the years from the world over. We stay in touch off the forum as well.

What would happen in here if someone started a thread about Linux under the Windows 8 sub-forum, or posted a windows Vista thread under Linux sub-forum? Probably the same thing or something very similar I would surmise. The main substance of ubuntu forums is ubuntu. There is "other distros" sub-forum which are for other versions of linux and yes windows too that are not ubuntu. Better to do one thing well than many badly!

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960
presence1960

I just looked at your thread. I would say you were given good service. It seems someone even tried Zorin in Virtualization to see if he could help solve your issue, which according to your response did. It would seem to me you got taken care of, whether it was in a different sub-forum or not does not matter. You posted and someone answered and went beyond that, even checked Zorin in virtualization for you. And found a workaround that you can use. I think you are just upset because your thread was moved and your angst is preventing you from seeing the help you received.

With all this being said the last two days I still like what you have to offer when it comes to windows. So hopefully you and I can build on that.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

You are right. Some white knight finally came to my rescue. Moving my posting to another subforum was OK - but he also changed my posting. And I don't like when mods change my postings without asking. I may be a novice in Linux but I am not a forum novice.

Posted 1 year ago

gregoryshock125
gregoryshock125

Personally I found the advice of whs and presence1960 to be helpful. But there is something I feel needs to be added here. The op asks a question He or she wants an answer to their question. What I see here is people trying to steer them away from the answer they are seeking. It's ok to advise against something, but after you say your part, it is counter productive to argue about it. I really don't like what I read here today because I don't want to loose contact with either of you two.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

These things are permissable (I think) if the OP never shows up agaian. Then the thread becomes quasi off-topic. But in principle you are right. A live thread where the OP participates should not be cluttered with arguments.

I think it all started with my last post on the first page.

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960
presence1960

Greg, you don't have to lose contact with either of us. If you would like to chat about linux PM me on Ubuntu Forums and I will give you my email address. I have come to the conclusion here that HTG is 99.9% strictly a windows forum and the consensus on here is to steer people away from learning linux in favor of installing in virtualization. I really like HTG because I joined only to become more knowledgeable about Windows. I am uncomfortable with what transpired here as well. I do not want to rock the boat. But I will not accept that installing linux is dangerous unless it is in virtual, whether you are new to it or not. Everyone was new to something at one point. You have to start learning at the beginning. So the only solution for me is to let the present powers to be have their way and not participate at all on HTG in reference to linux, but rather continue as I have on Ubuntu Forums where people are actually knowledgeable about linux and an atmosphere of learning and teaching linux is prevalent. On HTG I want to learn more about windows and that will be my sole purpose for being here. I am truly sorry if this affected you in a negative way.

P.S. I don't want to lose contact with you Greg or whs either.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!