How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

How to tell a program which display to use, using dual monitiors

(6 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by madmacs
  • Latest reply from madmacs
  • Topic Viewed 6103 times

madmacs
madmacs

Hi all, I´ve just hooked up dual monitors for the first time and it´s kind of confusing me!! Is there a way to to assign a program to a certain monitor? For example, when I open my Firefox it always opens on my 2nd monitor, but if I open WMP it always opens on my first display!!
Another problem is whilst using a game (The Witcher) on display 1, I wanted to have a walkthrough open on display 2. But everytime I start to scroll through something on my second display, the Witcher minimizes and my desktop shows up!! (Display 1) Is there a way to stop this?
Thx in advance, Matt

EDIT: I´m using one graphics card with two DVI out´s. Would it make a difference if I used one output on each of my graphics cards? Is this even possible?

Posted 5 years ago

milnerw
milnerw

I'm not sure how to assign a program to a specific monitor. Although I would love to find out hence I have the same problem.

As far as the game, check your video settings for the game. See if there are any settings to run the game in windowed mode. If so, this will allow you to click back and forth without it minimizing everytime.

Posted 5 years ago

madmacs
madmacs

Thx milnerw, I´ll have a look if there is a windowed mode, although if I remember correctly I don´t think there is one in The Witcher, shame!!

Posted 5 years ago

madmacs
madmacs

Okay, so I´ve find a way to open a program on the screen that I want to use. There´s probably a better way but if I want WMP to open on display 2 all I have to do is to move it there and make sure it´s not maximized. If I then close the media player and run it again, it automatically appears on screen 2. Unfortuantely this won´t work if the page is maximized. I´ll check if it´s remembered after a re-boot.

EDIT: It also works after a re-boot.

Posted 5 years ago

ian2
ian2

If your using a Nvidia Card The nView desktop manager has those options avaliable ..You can chose which monitor and what background you want any specific app to open on ..Plus many more options..

Posted 5 years ago

madmacs
madmacs

I´ll have a look at that, thx ian2

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!