SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

(Solved) - How to STOP AVG Internet Security from scanning my comp all the time?

(4 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by najkiie
  • Latest reply from najkiie
  • Topic Viewed 5121 times

najkiie
najkiie

Hey there, i dont know if its just me... but AVG is scanning my computer alllll the time. i always see that little taskbar icon that says "AVG Running Scans" when i hover my mouse over it.

is there some kind of way to disable it? im kind of new with AVG, but ive looked though alot of settings... cant find it :(

please someone respond?

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

najkiie, it's not just you. My mother's laptop has AVG on it and every time I boot it up, it starts downloading definitions and running scans. It slows down the whole system just when I have booted it up because I want to use it *now*, not 20-30 minutes later when AVG is done. It's very annoying.

I don't use AVG myself for this reason among others. I don't know the exact settings, but there is one that is something like "run a quick scan after an update". These quick scans are not very quick, from what I have seen. As for the definition files, I think this always happens to me because Mom doesn't use her laptop everyday. So when I get on it, the time to check for updates has elapsed and the first thing it does is to start the update process. I suppose the best way around this would be to extend the frequency of update checks, or disable automatic updates and do them manually.

Posted 5 years ago

najkiie
najkiie

Thanks alot :) ive just disabled the automatic updates... im going to test this and then post a comment on if it worked!

Posted 5 years ago

najkiie
najkiie

im sorry for the late reply, but its working great :D thanks alot!

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!