SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Tutorials

How To: Start A Windows OS Based Computer In Safe Mode...

(3 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by JHubbard92
  • Latest reply from JHubbard92
  • Topic Viewed 4747 times

JHubbard92
JHubbard92

For the people who do yet not know how to...

Safe mode is a diagnostics mode for computer OS's. It can be used for fixing problems within the OS itself. It can be accessed before the OS boots up normally, here is how to do it, this tutorial applies for most Windows OS's...

1. Turn the computer on or restart the computer.

2. Almost immedietly start tapping the [F8] key on your keyboard, this should then bring up Windows Advanced Boot Menu (Image Below)

3. Use the UP and DOWN directional keys on your keyboard to navigate, and highlight from the list "Safe Mode", or if you need networking, select, "Safe Mode With Networking", when your wished choice is highlighted hit the [ENTER] key.

4. (Below) You will now see Windows loading the needed files, do not feel scared by this screen as it can look quite intimidating.

5. Login as normal, you will have no wallpaper or amazing theme and screen dimension is usually 1024 x 768 but that is all normal as safe mode only loads basic resources. (Below, safe mode after loging in)

It is as easy as that, and I know what some of you are thinking, I already knew that, how silly. But it occurred that quite a few people in the forum do not know how to do that, mainly people new to HTG and computers. So I felt that, hopfully this will teach people and can be linked to if need be.

I did do a search for a similar Tutorial just incase I did another one without needing to, I did not find any tutorials on this, but I do apologise if there is similar out there.

Jordan

Posted 4 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Jordan, good job! Now I can point people to this tutorial where they can see the screens and not just read my description of them. Thank you for contributing.

Posted 4 years ago

JHubbard92
JHubbard92

Thats what I thought, I always got annoyed with typing it up every time, that was the main reason for doing it, and thanks :-)

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!