The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

How to shrink (resize) a PDF file

(8 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by madmacs
  • Latest reply from madmacs
  • Topic Viewed 181953 times

madmacs

Hi all, does anyone know of a program that can shrink the capacity used by a PDF file. My girlfriend wants to send an online CV to a few firms, trouble is her CV is in PDF and is too big to upload!! Thx in advance, Matt

Posted 5 years ago

LH

Not tried it, but maybe,
http://www.softpedia.com/get/O.....ssor.shtml

Posted 5 years ago

madmacs

Thx LH, was easy to use but the compression rate wasn´t too good!! We ended up making JPEGs and sending them.

Posted 5 years ago

dmooreny

Reducing PDF file size is made difficult, at least by Adobe. The only reliable way I have found after a PDF document is created is to use Adobe PhotoShop and to reduce the Image Size, a dialog where you find a command that allows you to reduce the Document Size by reducing the Pixels per Inch. Another method is to use Adobe Acrobat (the program that allows you to create and manipulate PDF's), not Adobe Acrobat Reader, in Documents and the commend Reduce File Size. But if you have few images in the document that can be reduced, the command often yields no reduction in file size.

Posted 5 years ago

madmacs

Adobe fan are you!! All costs too much for me ;)

Posted 5 years ago

dmooreny

I understand. Adobe is way too expensive. I am curious why the CV creates such a large PDF. If it is a text document, it shouldn't be too large unless it is many, many pages long or includes intense graphics. If the document was prepared in a word processing program then converted, she could consider sending the document in that format, rather than converting to PDF. And if your friend has created a CV in PDF, that would imply she has some form of PDF maker on her computer. That would mean she may have an application, a way of manipulating the file size.

Posted 5 years ago

whs

Matt, I am puzzled too. How can you end up with a .pdf that is larger than, let's say, 2 or 3 GBs. If it was a Word document stored as .pdf, it is usually a lot smaller than the .docx or .doc. If it was originally created as a .pdf with some PDF writer that apparently made this enormous file, you could convert it to a Word document with this Pdf to Word converter and then try to store it from within Word as .pdf. That should make it into a size that is possible to attach to an email. That may sound odd, but it works real well.

Posted 5 years ago

madmacs

Thanks for your tips dmooreny and whs.
@dmooreny, the .pdf´s were created by a friend of my girlfriend, that´s why we didn´t have any software installed.
@whs, it wasn´t that the CV was particularly big, it was just that where she was trying to upload it only allowed a ridiculously small file!! (I think it was 300kb!!)

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.