How to set up a good backup system :)

(44 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by SarahJames
  • Latest reply from SarahJames
  • Topic Viewed 29419 times

SarahJames
SarahJames

Hi Thomasrogers,

Welcome to HTG and thanks for the compliment ;)
Lot's of knowledge floating around here, so enjoy!

Posted 1 year ago

maanojrakhit

Hi SarahJames,

After reading your article I began to use Macrium Reflect for Backup purpose. It has worked well.

Recently, I used it for Cloning. Cloning got done but left a few nagging questions. Let me explain in detail. For, I think you can help me.

I cloned my laptop C: drive to my external hard disk.

I wanted to sell my laptop and buy a new PC and then clone external hard disk to C: drive of new PC.

Laptop C: drive contained licensed versions of Windows 7 Home basic and Microsoft Office 2007 Home edition. I want to use my licensed Win 7 and Office 2007 on new PC instead of spending for it again.

I think it will all work fine but one question has perplexed me. I need your help here.

My impression was: cloning would permit installation of Win 7 and Office 2007 to new PC but at the same time it would disable them on laptop so that one license can be used at one time only on one PC.

But then I noticed that laptop still has functional Win 7 and Office 2007. This would mean, cloning would permit use of one license on two computers: one laptop, the other new PC which I have yet to buy.

This, somehow, does not sound logical to me. And therefore, I suspect that licensed Win 7 and Office 2007 won't work when I buy the new PC and clone my external hard disk to new PC.

When I look into Cloning Source and Destination disks, this is what I see (two images).

Please help me clarify my doubt.

Sincerely,

Maanoj Rakhit

Posted 1 year ago

maanojrakhit

Sarah, please ignore my previous post some 8 hours ago (I have my answer already). Thanks anyway. Maanoj Rakhit

Posted 1 year ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

Hi Maanoj Rakhit,

Glad you found it :)

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!