How-To Geek Forums / Tutorials

How to set up a good backup system :)

(44 posts)
  • Started 3 years ago by SarahJames
  • Latest reply from SarahJames
  • Topic Viewed 29419 times

LH
LH

whs. It's dead easy. In the Search Forum box. Type in Tutorial, and a keyword to what you are looking for. Hit Enter, scroll to the bottom of the page, and select Search at Google.

Posted 2 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

Hmmm, maybe I should do something about that ...
Will think about it and see what I can come up with - at least for the most used tutorials there should be a way.

Edit - we posted ath the same time LH :)
But still I think whs has a point. Search is fine, but that means you know what to search for.
On the other hand sticky's are a convenient way to keep the most usefull tuts on top ;)

Posted 2 years ago

LH
LH

Sarah. All you need to know is one word. i.e., Photobucket, or image.

Posted 2 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

True!
Can't get any simpler than that :D

Posted 2 years ago

MrTylerHaz
MrTylerHaz

Very well written tutorial, easy to follow, will be sure to follow this when i get to the house, to get that little flag away about the backup down and the bottom right of my screen.

Posted 2 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

Super!
That's why I write them ;)

Btw. by using third-party apps to backup you won't get rid ot that little flag - you can change the schedule windows backup does it's backup to never and that will probably get rid of it. (I don't use Windows Backup, so I'm not sure. If you can't get rid of the flag just open a new topic for it and I'm sure someone will come along who knows how to fix it :D)

Posted 2 years ago

semiretired
semiretired

I'm planning on a hot swap back up drive for my set up, could end up swapping drives from a banks safe deposit box, once a week/month. I have used macrium and it does a good job. I will probably stick with it. I have a 500gb external drive for backing up the info. This build will need backed up through all the improvements that come along. The many changes in media and even windows 8 may demand more prudent backups. I can see the convenience in having a server type computer, with hot swaps, to handle backing up several computers, perhaps even an occasional one that I work on.

Posted 2 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

The other day I ran into Cobian backup and I love it.
I have now replaced both Karen's replicator and Double Safety with this one app, because it allows for a huge array of jobsettings, including incremental backup, which really makes the backup process a lot lighter on resources if you have a large amount of files in Documents etc.

Posted 2 years ago

fretted1

Hi, I had to send my notebook to ASUS for a repair, so I backed up to an external HDD using the backup feature in Windows 7 control panel. Of course when I got the notebook back, I found that ASUS wiped my HDD and loaded a clean version of the OS. I then restored my system from the most recent backup thinking I would get all of my files and applications. The files were there, but not my applications. Is there a type of backup that will restore files AND programs, but I just didn't make the right selection. I do have a backup from a few months ago that seems to have a different icon and folder structure, and I suspect that it might be a full image. How can I tell? I'm not really looking forward to downloading, installing and tweaking all my apps.

Brian,
newbie.

Posted 2 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

Hi Brian,

Welcome to HTG :)
But please post your question in a new topic, you'll get more response that way.

Posted 2 years ago

zepe

I love Karen's Replicator, but since she's no longer with us is there anything out there that works in the same way, where all the files are fully accessible. Replicator works well with Windows 7 x64, but I'm concerned about it working with Windows 8.

Thanx,
zepe

Posted 2 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

Two posts up I mentioned Cobian Backup :)
It's like Karen's Replicator but better. An absolute favorite of mine.

Posted 2 years ago

jmeeks49
jmeeks49

Sarah,

if i can be so bold here, the tutorials are good but with people with disabilities like yours truely do better with video tutorials than anything i know that you probably don't have access to video equipment and i understand that believe me i do. example: when whs did a video tutorial on macrium reflect i leaned alot from it because i had it avaliable for me to watch over and over (thank you whs :-)) i wish there was more tutorial videos out there.

john

Posted 2 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

Hi John,

OK, that's something to think about :)
Don't hold your breath for it though, I'm not equipped with all the videotools whs has.

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi
Xhi

Have you tried searching for tutorials on YouTube. They have oodles. Which item were you wanting a tutorial for and I'll see if I can find one.

Posted 2 years ago

jmeeks49
jmeeks49

i know,

wasn't complaining i just was giving ideas out.

Posted 2 years ago

jmeeks49
jmeeks49

xhi i know about youtube tutorials but most of them are filled up with music and not actually people describing what you need or want to do believe me i have looked. right now, i don't need anything accept maybe a video on windows home server 2008 but i can find that on my own thank you anyway..

john

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi
Xhi

Here's a basic one, w/o music How to Install Windows Home Server. Actually there are a lot of them.

Posted 2 years ago

jmeeks49
jmeeks49

thank you..

Posted 2 years ago

thomasrogers

Very well written tutorial. Easy to understand.
As this is my post in this forum, looking forward to get more knowledge through this forum.

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.