How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - How To: Run explorer.exe [shell] as an Administrator - Win7

(23 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by elreaver
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 5601 times

elreaver
elreaver

Using Windows 7 in an enterprise enviornment.
I am wondering what methods you all have/use to open an explorer window/shell as an administrator while logged in as a NON administrator.
Obviousally logging out and/or switching user as a local or domain administrator would do the trick - but this seems like a hassle.
Also doing a runas on explorer.exe with the elevated cridentials does not seem to work. (at least not for me)

Any input or ideas are appreciated!

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

WE is well past it's sell by date. Why not try a 3rd party file manager, that you can maybe set to run as admin.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

There is no trick. If you are not the admin, you have no elevated credentials. That's made on purpose so that not every Joe and Harry can modify the system.

Posted 1 year ago

elreaver
elreaver

Agreed, if I could use something other than WE I would.
The problem being is that I am in a restricted enviornment and can't just install anything I want.

Posted 1 year ago

elreaver
elreaver

whs... I have two profiles, one being an Admin, and the other a regular user.
I use my regular profile 99% of the time, (logged in) and only my elevated account when needed.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

Recommend you get your own environment.

Posted 1 year ago

elreaver
elreaver

Thanks genius!

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

We do not support circumvention of the rules laid down by the owners of the systems to which one is attached. If those are the rules then abide by them.

And, yes as you guessed my IQ is 161.

Posted 1 year ago

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

elreaver, As an administrator you should understand the need for restricting admin activities from regular users. Having to log out as a regular user and log in under your admin credentials is a minor annoyance when compared to the overriding concern to provide a safe system to your users and yourself. As you say, you only need it about 1% of the time.

Posted 1 year ago

elreaver
elreaver

I agree however; it makes sense that I could open a Win Explorer shell/window so I could UNC and access shares only accessable by an elevated permission group.

Posted 1 year ago

RRRoman

I think there is a "runas" command which is roughly equivalen to "su" on Linux. Looks something like this:
runas [{/profile|/noprofile}] [/env] [/netonly] [/smartcard] [/showtrustlevels] [/trustlevel] /user:UserAccountName program

so I guess "runas /noprofile /user:Administrator <program>" should be quivalent to "sudo" on linux and should do the trick if that is what you looking for...

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Good point RRR

" Runas allows a user to run specific tools and programs with different permissions than the user's current logon provides. "

Posted 1 year ago

elreaver
elreaver

Right! Thanks RRRoman, using runas works great for almost everything like cmd or notepad but no longer does it work for explorer.exe in Win 7.
It will open an explorer window, but if you check the process it is still running as the current user.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

Anything here that will work Create Administrator Mode Shortcuts Without UAC Prompts in Windows 7 or Vista

Posted 1 year ago

elreaver
elreaver

That is a great trick, and thank you for the link/tip!
Tried it with explorer.exe in the run path but (for me) it didn't open a new explorer shell/window. [sad face]

Posted 1 year ago

elreaver
elreaver

Here is one painful method I've found if anyone else is interested:

Access method 1 Point at a Taskbar blank area -> right-click -> Start Task Manager -> Processes tab -> Show processes for All Users -> UAC elevation prompt, Yes

Access method 2 Start -> Search box -> type Taskmgr -> Wait for it to be found -> when Taskmgr icon appears, right-click, Run as Administrator -> UAC elevation prompt, Yes.

To run an elevated Explorer:

•Task Manager window, Go to Processes tab. Find Explorer.exe, right-click, and choose End Process Tree. (This elevation trick doesn't work if Explorer.exe is already running.) Also close any other Explorer.exe.
•Desktop goes blank, task bar disappears! Nevermind.
•Task manager window, go to File, New Task (Run).., Type "Explorer", check box below that says "Create this task with administrator privileges", Run
•Oh, the desktop and task bar hasreappeared...

You now have an elevated Explorer shell.

•You will not get any further UAC prompts.
•There is no notification or different "look" to the desktop that indicates Explorer is running elevated.
•You have full access to the entire local hard drive regardless of prior UAC restrictions, until you logoff or reboot.
•Any programs run with this Elevated Explorer are also automatically elevated without UAC prompting.

To manually go back to the restricted Explorer, End the Explorer process again in Task Manager, then run Explorer from the Task Manager, but don't select "create task with admin privileges".

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Updated: August 15, 2012
http://technet.microsoft.com/e.....54340.aspx

Posted 1 year ago

elreaver
elreaver

Warning if you do the above steps, it will close any open application AND window while using it in the restricted profile.

Posted 1 year ago

RRRoman

Just out of curiosity... is there any special purpose in running the explorer in elevated mode right away? Are you trying to automate anything? Because I've never had to start it in elevated mode right away and was prompted every time I wanted to do something that needed elevation.

Posted 1 year ago

ryanmika

NICE TOPIC nd best replay, helpful me. thank u.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!