Any users of Windows Live Messenger and Windows 7 may notice that the Windows Live Messenger notification icon is not longer there, instead the main button in the taskbar is all there is. Annoyingly, when moving your mouse over the taskbar button you get two thumbnails which are not needed (Image Below)...
I personally think it is a pain, esecially when you have multiple chat windows open. To get back the good old classic style with the main window represented in the system tray, simply do this...
1. First of all, close Windows Live Messenger completely.
2. Next, locate the shortcut that you use to access Windows Live Messenger from, right click and select properties.
3. Click the compatability tab.
4. Tick the checkbox "Run this program in compatibility mode" and from the drop downlist select Windows Vista, Windows Vista SP1, Windows Vista SP2. (See Image below)
5. Click [Ok] and that is all, enjoy the classic look! (See Image below)
Hope this helps someone.