SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Build Your Own PC

(Solved) - How to remove/unmount heat sink stand-offs.

(4 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by tech27
  • Latest reply from tech27
  • Topic Viewed 929 times

tech27
tech27

I swap my old motherboard with the damage motherboard of my cousin. I mean I replace his motherboard and uses his all hardware as well as the casing and heatsink. Basically I did this because I want to use the old parts of his PC (RAMs,HDDs,Graphics card, etc) and my heatsink also is unusable so I also need to remove his heatsink to transfer it on my motherboard. But I am having a hard time figuring out how to remove the remaining stand-offs of this heat sink, because there's no instruction or any label or whatsoever on how to remove this stand-offs. If you guys have an idea how to remove this stand-offs please do help, because this is the only thing that left so that I can use my old motherboard and give a new life on it. it's kinda old but this motherboard still works and I love to rebuild this machine and power it up again and install a good Linux distro on it. So need your help guys.

P.S. I hope I picked the correct forum section...

You see at the bottom left of the picture of the second one, which stand-offs (black one) i cut it using a diagonal cutter and no luck on removing it. I also tried to push the white circles still doesn't work at all. It just hurt my hands and screws to never works because that white rounded circles doesn't have a groove to where a flat screwdriver could fit it.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

The only way that I know is to snip them off. They are not reusable. You may be able to find replacements, but I am not sure where.

Posted 1 year ago

G41M

The white peg serves as some sort of locks. Remove them and you can easily remove the heat sink mount. If you can not push it topward, carefully pry the head of pegs (1st picture) using a small flat screwdriver to raise them a bit, then use a bigger screwdriver to finally dislodge them.

Posted 1 year ago

tech27
tech27

Thanks for your assistance guys. But the only person manage to remove the stand-offs was my father. Lol. I ask him how did he manage to remove them without damaging the plastic stand-offs, he then said that he just push those white circle plastics(first picture) and he says he heard a *click* and manage to remove all those four. ;)

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!