SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - how to remove windows.old from c drive ???

(10 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by myinway
  • Latest reply from LH
  • Topic Viewed 1197 times

myinway

I have just updated my system with windows 7 over my existing windows vista ,,,,, now my c drive has a big file windows.old which is more 40gb inn size ,,,,,i tried removing it with the help of disk cleaner ,,, but there is no option like the 'previous windows installation' in it ,,,,,, how do i remove it ,,,, i have all my backups from my previous stuffs in my external drive,,,,,,, help me on this and thank you in advance,,,,,

Also help me how to partition my C drive which is the only drive and its 288 gb in total size ,,,,,

Thank You very much
jegan

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

Hi jegan. Try this, and then delete,
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....-in-vista/

Posted 4 years ago

myinway

Hi LH ,

i had installed it,,,,,

and i have right clicked the ' windows.old' folder and selected take ownership ,,,,,,
a 'c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe' screen is running from then onwards and its still running for more than 10 mins now ,,,,is it because the file is more than 40 gb in size ??????
what should i do after this step ??????

Thanks in advance

jegan

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

Let it run. See what happens. It is a big file.

Posted 4 years ago

myinway

yeah its done ,,,,,, shud i delete the folder 'windows.old' just like that ???????

jegan

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

Yep

Posted 4 years ago

myinway

HI LH

I keep getting alerts saying if i delete certain files , my windows may not work properly ,,,,

What should i Do ????

Jegan

Posted 4 years ago

JHubbard92
JHubbard92

Hello myinway, in reply to your recent post... yes it is ok to delete the WINDOWS.OLD folder regardless to what alerts pop up, make sure it is the Windows.old one though and not the Windows one, haha.

I created an article for this not long ago with another way, link for it is below.
http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....?replies=9

Credit goes to LH though who helped me with this problem not long ago, thus why I created an article on it :-)

Regards

Jordan

Posted 4 years ago

myinway

Thanks a Lot in helping here guys ,,,,,,
I need to partition my C drive as well ,,,, Don know how to partition it ,,,,, Any tips ???????????

Thanks

Jegan

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

Could you start a New Topic on that please Jegan.

Accepted Answer · Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!