The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 8

How to Remove Windows 8 and Install Windows 7

(9 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by c5vetter
  • Latest reply from presence1960
  • Topic Viewed 5424 times

c5vetter

Okay, frustrated as hell with Windows 8! Have tried everything I can think of and queried many different forums to attempt to dual-boot Windows 8 and Ubuntu and NOTHING works. So, I want to completely remove Windows 8 (not Professional) and install Windows 7 Professional. I understand if I had Win8 Pro there is a downgrade option, but don't have that. So, how the hell can I make this happen? I do have Win 7 Pro installation media.

BTW - have the following laptop - HP Pavilion g7z Laptop AMD Dual-Core A6-4400M 2.6GHz

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Is this the Exact Model Number of the machine ??

HP Pavilion g7z-2100 CTO Notebook PC

Appears it will run Windows 7 from the Machine Device Driver Page.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfr.....ct=5275619

You first need to be sure you are running Bios 2012-12-14 , Version:F.23

Here is tutorial.
http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....?replies=1

Not responsible for this information, just provided links.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Here is another tutorial that might help.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

As Responders, we're going to have be very careful with advising changing O/Ses as no one person knows all the manufacturers EFI Bioses and their settings.

Builder machines are NO problem but OEM machines must comply with MS specifications for Windows 8 machines so some might not have the necessary settings in the EFI Bios for changing O/Ses.

For instance I just tried an experiment with a Builder Machine in which I found I could effectively NAIL Windows 8 to the machine and lock out all other ways to boot.

Fortunately my Asus UEFI Bios would let me change [ numerous settings ] so again I could boot from non-secure devices and also run Windows 8 on an MBR Array INSTREAD of a GPT Partitioned Disk.

Be careful for what you wish for concerning security as I can see a lot problems coming down the road with OEM Machines sold to run Windows 8 where the O/S is NAILED to the machine EFI Bios and can not can be changed.

Buyer Be Ware for sure !!

Rick P.

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

@Rick, What would you suggest folks should look for if considering a W8 OEM machine? Would any of the specs that come on the packaging tell them or would an online search of a machine do it? Provided that they may want to change systems a a later time.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@Joe,

That's going to be a BIG problem as one cannot know a machine's BIOS Settings before they purchase and the Specs may not be definitive plus the Sales folks don't know AND/OR some times are not entirely forthcoming.

So as not ruin my SSDs, I'm going to have to use some Spinners and Experiment with "Brink's" tutorials.

Right now I advise not to purchase anything Windows 8 OEM unless the Buyer can find out for sure what the machine is capable of.

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

Sort of thought that, for sure the Walmart people will not know:) I guess how to find out is the burning question.

Edit: For the non builders you can buy computers sans operating systems but, few and far between.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Personal computers bearing the Windows 8-certified logo will be required to ship with Microsoft Secure Boot enabled.

The capability to DISABLE it and Compatibility Settings in the machine EFI Bios are what is required.

My guess is that EFI Bios Settings will become a big issue just like Boot Manager Missing was/is.

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960
presence1960

Another control ploy by Microsoft. I don't know what they are afraid of. They have the PC market cornered. Even a nice share of Linux users still dual or multi boot with Windows. If I treated my customers like that I would soon be pounding the sidewalk.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.