The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Tutorials

How to remove taskbar? (XP)

(12 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by Camalus28
  • Latest reply from Camalus28
  • Topic Viewed 9909 times

Camalus28

Could someone tell me how to remove the task bar completely, permanently, on Windows XP. I've looked everywhere and only found temporary solutions. I'm building a MAME arcade cabinet, and I want my one program to start up, nothing else. The taskbar popping up for a second or so before the program finishes starting ruins the illusion. Thanks for any and all help! :)

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi
Xhi

Turn off autohide the Taskbar. Then unlock the Taskbar and drag the top edge to the bottom of the screen so it has 0 height.

Posted 2 years ago

7ths0n
7ths0n

I don't know too much about comps I ones had a a rft file that i tried to get rid of & it seemed nothing worked, so I emptied my hd of all important files & ran ccleaner drive wiper & it got rid of it.

Posted 2 years ago

ronniesonora

Might try here http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....-vista-xp/

Posted 2 years ago

Camalus28

ronniesonora: that gets rid of the icons on the taskbar but no the taskbar itself
xhi: There's a little blue bar left, is it possible to turn it black?
thanks to all of you!

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi
Xhi

Without third party software not sure you can. I don't have any recommendations there. One idea would be to use the screen adjustment buttons on your monitor and move the screen vertically down a small amount below the frame of the monitor.

Posted 2 years ago

ronniesonora

Camalus28, try this Right-click an empty space on the Windows XP desktop background. Click "Properties" from the menu options.

Select the "Appearance" tab.

Click on the "Windows and Buttons" drop-down menu. Click on "Windows Classic Style."

Click on the "Color Scheme" drop-down menu. Click on "Windows Classic."

Click on the "Advanced" button. Click on the "Item" drop-down menu and select "3D Objects." Click on the "Color 1" drop-down menu box and select the black color, the second option from the left in the first row of colors. Click "OK."

Click "Apply." Wait for Windows XP to apply the changes. Close the desktop "Properties" box.

Posted 2 years ago

Camalus28

Thanks to both of you again! And when i drag it down, it stays until i reboot. It's back to normal when i boot it up again, and i can't lock it down...

Posted 2 years ago

ronniesonora

I found this, you might want to take a look or try is http://download.cnet.com/Taskb.....08230.html

Posted 2 years ago

Camalus28

Hmmmm, i tried it and the taskbar still pops up before the eliminator has a chance to start...

Posted 2 years ago

minigeek
minigeek

If it is just one app, then you could change the windows shell, so windows explorer (the desktop/taskbar) would not even startup.
BEWARE: this could break your system, but you could always do CONTROL+ALT+DELETE, click task manager and create a new process with the name of "explorer.exe"

http://www.knowledgesutra.com/.....shell.html

If you follow these instructions, but replace the exe location with the location of your exe, then you should be fine! It would be a very good idea to create a spare account and then use the single account method.

Good Luck!

MiniGeek

Posted 2 years ago

Camalus28

Minigeek, that worked perfectly! Thank you :D

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!