The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

How to redirect blocked outbound http requests to local webserver

(2 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by jackall
  • Latest reply from Xhi
  • Topic Viewed 539 times

jackall

I'm using XP w/ Peerblock for a while now, but it surely cripples internet browsing. Page requests for sites on iBlocklists are blocked. Peerblock drops the requests, causing page timeouts in the browser, sometimes indefinitely waiting for an answer. Other times it takes minutes before showing the content I'm looking for, if showing at all. Adding IP's to a white list is imho not the way to go.
Before using Peerblock I used the hosts file in combination with a local apache web server to provide an answer for the 'routed' requests to 127.0.0.1, which worked quite well, but I would need to automatically update the hosts file.

Been searching for days now. If anyone knows of certain programs using blocklists, being able of routing requests from the browser to a local webserver for speeding up internet browsing, it would be of great help!
Maybe I'm going the wrong way here, any ideas much appreciated!

TIA, Jack

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi

Why are you using peerblock? Why not remove it? Using such things as Hosts files unless you build them yourself leaves you at the mercy of the opinions of other folks not your own good judgement.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.