How-To Geek Forums / Linux

How to protect Linux Ubuntu 8?

(4 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by gamer308
  • Latest reply from jack7h3r1pp3r
  • Topic Viewed 1133 times

gamer308

Hi,

I am a Newbie when it comes to Linux and I just got my free ubuntu 8 cd in the mail, But I do not want to Install it until I know that my computer is protected. What is the best free protection software or Antivirus,spyware and firewall?

Thank you for your help, Have a great day,

gamer308

Posted 5 years ago

0zSpitt
0zSpitt

from everything i've read a firewall is the main thing. that and common sense. i'm connected to a router and went to gibson research and ran their test. i rated as stealth on my port scans and all the other tests. i don't think you need an anti virus or anti spyware program because there's very few malicious programs wrote for linux. i think the big problem is rootkits. i'm new at linux, also. ill be watching this thread for information

Posted 5 years ago

VistaSun
VistaSun

The only reason you would need an antivirus would be if you have two partitions one linux one ubuntu, If ubuntu catches a virus it could infect your windows partition.

Posted 5 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

if you get a virus while in ubuntu it will not affect your windows partition untill you boot into window because the way that linux runs makes it impossible for the virus to run while booted into linux. and i would say that you shouldn't worry about ubuntu not being secure because it is most likely way more secure than your windows or other is. Also as ozspitt said as with any os you should just use your common sense while you are doing your browsing.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.