The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

How to prevent internet access

(7 posts)
  • Started 7 years ago by LuvizBlind
  • Latest reply from Lenswipe
  • Topic Viewed 4192 times

LuvizBlind

My bosses teenage children and their friends come into our office after hours and access the internet using our computers. We've got windows passwords to each individual computer but they've either figured them out, or we've heard that they can access the internet via safe mode if they can't log onto windows normally. We'd like to know if there is a way to totally block access to the internet when we aren't here... Or to ensure they can't get on Windows via safe mode. Personally, I'd rather stop them from using the computers at all if possible.

(I wish it was just as simple as telling them to stop and they would, but no such luck... please help if you can, its getting out of hand with them sometimes changing settings, installing unwanted programs and games, etc.)

Posted 7 years ago

michael

OK, there are several things you can do. You can disable the network adapters, by right clicking them and disable. You can change passwords. You can turn the modem off.

--
Mike

Posted 7 years ago

LuvizBlind

Thank you for your quick response.

We've changed the passwords several times to no avail. And they are computer savvy enough to know about the modem, because I've tried that before. I'll try disabling the network adapter, I'm assuming we would then have to enable it each morning, but I'm thinking they may figure that out too.

If we turn all the computers off, is there a way to prevent them from even getting on to windows at all? I've disabled all guest accounts, and we already change passwords frequently and that hasn't worked. Then we were told that they probably are going into safe mode if they couldn't log on normally. So is there a way to prevent that option?

Posted 7 years ago

taybay

If you have a firewall you can try setting it to total lockdown so it blocks all traffic. I don't know how long it would take them to find that though..

Posted 7 years ago

jd2066

How do they get in after hours? I would think after hours the doors would be locked.

Posted 7 years ago

CROX

could you not set a BIOS password as well? Stop access to the PC in the first place.

Posted 7 years ago

Lenswipe

May i recomrend something?

Get some random PC (doesnt need to be a top end gaming PC just an old box will do) and install Linux on it (yes CentOS will do) and set it up as a Squid Proxy server. Then put the proxy server on the internet and connect the modem to it and then connect it to the network so that its impossible to access the internet without going thru the proxy. Then put a password on the proxy server or better still just lock it down. :)

Hope this helps you.

Posted 7 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.