How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

How to permantly delete contacts in Windows Live Mail

(25 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by Ted16
  • Latest reply from Ted16
  • Topic Viewed 40130 times

Ted16
Ted16

Can anyone help my neighbour. Everytime he tries to delete contacts in Windows Live Mail with Windows 7 OS
they just re appear again and also keep adding to his contact file so end up with several of the same name.
Any help appreciated.
Ted

Posted 4 years ago

Ted16
Ted16

I take it no one has any thoughts on this. Cannot find anything on Google either ?
Ted

Posted 4 years ago

Drizzle
Drizzle

Hi Ted
Hmm!!! funny no one answered, I dont use live and I know you will have researched, but have you tried Here
Kate

Posted 4 years ago

Ted16
Ted16

Thanks Kate, have passed that on. What seemed to be a simple question seems not so simple after all. I have not got Windows 7 so cannot experiment.
Ted

Posted 4 years ago

vistual
vistual

hi there Ted16,
i dont know if you came across this already in youre quest to find an answer but i saw quite a bit of info shared in this thread

BUT .......: )
now another possible solution would be to completely uninstall the client (windows live mail), and then reinstall it.
remove it with something like Revo or Ccleaner or IObit.

Please do your due diligence and find out how to properly secure a back up of the emails / contacts (just in case, cause i dont know how windows live mail works) maybe SarahJames can chime in with s'more info on that and weather or not its necessary.

then make sure to download the latest version of Windows Live Mail ***AND*** pay close attention during the re-installation and make sure to set the proper / desired permissions for synching contacts from accounts.

Posted 4 years ago

Ted16
Ted16

Appreciate that Vistual, will pass all that on. I have to say I have put Windows Live Mail on both my daughters new Toshiba and my granddaughters Dell so may take off if problems at present and go back to Outlook express or the equivalent in windows 7.
Thanks again,
Ted

Posted 4 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

Ted - I'll have a look at this, hang on a bit ;)

And did you have Vista before? Because in that case you can use Windows Mail, which I much prefer (not in the cloud and more options when creating mail, easy in handling contacts etc.)

Posted 4 years ago

Ted16
Ted16

Thanks Sarah,
Yes both the previous computers were on Vista. I think I got muddled up when putting Mail on the new ones.IE with just Mail and live Mail.
Ted

Posted 4 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

Ok, what I've got so far:

- I have no trouble creating or deleting contacts in WLM.

In WML go to contacts > you can add or delete contacts there and for me (but I'm on Vista ánd I only use hotmail in WLM) that works ok.

However if you have added a contact to you profile, which means they are on your network I haven't found out how you can change that. (Have two contacts like that who appear on my profile page apparently - which I don't want and I don't have a clue how to undo it!)
You can see that by going to hotmail.com and logging in.

Because WLM is primarily meant for hotmail and your contacts are stored there, it might also be that you can only delete contacts when using a hotmail or 'live' emailadress. In that case I think it is simplest to just login to hotmail and delete the contacts from there.

If all this won't help, I'll also post how to backup WLM emailmessages.

Posted 4 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

To Backup WLM data you'll have to find the folder where WLM stores it's data.
By default it is something like C:\Users\*username*\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail
But in WLM you can set your own default folder, so if you can't find it, open WLM > tools (little icon with a window and an arrow)> options>advanced>maintenance>store folder

Inside the folder you find all kinds of subfolders.
If you want to be able to restore everything, just copy the entire folder to another location and your safe ;)

If you're looking for just the emails of a particular account:
there are folders with the name (or part of the name) of you email accounts.
I have one called "Hotmail" (very original, I know LOL LOL LOL), so I have a subfolder "Hotmail (se 742"
Inside are the subfolders for this account, like send, inbox, drafts etc.
In there you can find all the emails sent to and from this particular account.

So far I haven't found a way to 'export' contacts like you can in Outlook Express or Windows Mail,
but this is because contacts are also stored in the cloud, so whenever you login on another computer your contacts will appear there too.
Which makes me think yet again you'll have to get in the cloud (= go to hotmail.com of live.com or whatever it is these days LOL) to delete contacts ...

Let us know how you fare - still a subject we need to learn more about ;)

Posted 4 years ago

vistual
vistual

good that you heard the call SJ : )
i figured if anyone can help make sense of this mess it'd b u LOL
hey yo u know i think that there-in lies the answer .....
logging in at hotmail.com / live.com and deleting from there.
i kinda got that feel'n too when i read that thread that i put in that link a couple posts back.
you just reaffirmed it.
Ted16, post back with the results cause i saw a few instances where other people had the same question.

Posted 4 years ago

mfletch
mfletch

Not unless I'm misunderstanding export import

Posted 4 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

LOL - mfletch.
You had me looking and looking. Finally found I didn't have the menubar visible. <Sigh> This WLM is a never ending learning thing ...

Just spend the the best part of an hour trying to find out how to remove a contact from my profile without deleing the contact.
Seems to be a mission impossible. I ended up here and if you follow the instructions you end up at .... exactly the same page! It's a loop!

But in the process I tried to delete the contact and was unable to do so.
I had to go to hotmail.com ánd close Messenger completely. But as soon as I tried to add the contact again without being marked 'friend' or showing up in my network disappointment was strife, because the contact would show up again like it was before.
So I deleted it again and only put the info in Messenger.
Still no luck.
The moment that person came online the old data reappeared.

But as an answer to Ted: delete the contact from hotmail.com ánd make sure you exit WLM ánd Messenger before you get to hotmail.com otherwise they just come back like before.

It's really quite exasperating and once again confirms my notion of 'Live' being incredibly intrusive.

Posted 4 years ago

Ted16
Ted16

Thanks Sarah et al
Have passed on the info. Should note he is NOT using Hotmail but talktalk. At least he now knows it is not just him finding it hard.
Have not read it all my self but can understand if the info is in the cloud then it is no good just deleting the contacts in the PC.
I will be taking Windows Live Mail off of my daughters and Granddaughters and revert to Windows Mail,at least until things become a bit clearer.
Sarah you are the lady.
Many thanks,
Ted

PS I wish I could spell permanently LOL

Posted 4 years ago

Drizzle
Drizzle

@Ted: Add this to FF... https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/58947/
LOL!!!
Kate

Posted 4 years ago

Ted16
Ted16

Thanks Kate,
Interesting programme, I am using I.E 8 but my brother uses FF and keeps trying to get me to use it. I have got Chrome as a back up to IE which I use now and then.
Might treat myself to one of those Electronic Dictionaries, in the meantime pass me my Collins Shorter English Dictionary. LOL
Ted

Posted 4 years ago

Drizzle
Drizzle

@ Ted Go on you can do it!!!, I believe even Sarah has now started using FF.......Those electronic ones not always satisfactory, often find words in crosswords etc, that the dictionary says unknown LOL!!!!!!!
Kate

Posted 4 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

Yep, I use FF and love it. The only thing that kept me from using it before was that IE can save webpages as mht. As soon as I found a good extension in FF that did the same I never looked back :)

Posted 4 years ago

Ted16
Ted16

Sarah, Kate I bow before your wisdom and will give it a go, plus I could never refuse the entreaty of a lady.LOL

Ted

Edit. Have downloaded it, very quick compared to IE so will see how I get on. It asked if I wanted everything transferred from IE and I said yes but it missed the HTG password so might have to reset all the others.

Ted

Posted 4 years ago

Drizzle
Drizzle

Ooh!!! we nagging wooomen!!!!!Lol!!!. It will start asking if you want passwords saved every time you enter a new one or change one,this is great cos you can just look, so before you start changing any do this.
Tools >option>saved password>show password >are you sure>YES....and you get your list, so you can always check any password you have set and amend if neccessary.
Lots of lovely new ADD ons for you to find and use.
ENJOY.
Kate

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!