SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

(Solved) - how to open winrar files ( part 1 & part 2)

(21 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by windfall
  • Latest reply from windfall
  • Topic Viewed 16306 times

windfall

Comment to following question:
How do I extract files with WinRAR?

I have a program I bought--which consists of iso image files( dvd)--in 2 parts
both have another winrar file pack inside each other

how do I unpack these???

everytime I unpack part 1 ( I use extract here) ---the other winrar ( packed inside) appears
then I unpack that ----as I do a folder appears with all its contents---( dvd iso image etc)

BUT!!-as it finishes another box opens saying" you need to have following volume to continue extraction"--insert a disk with this volume and press okay---
this is where I aM STUCK---WHAT DO I DO---??/been trying for 3 days--nothing works

please help me---

I have winrar 380

thanx

tom

Posted 4 years ago

mickeyblue
mickeyblue

ok, so you downloaded some files, and the 2 files are in WinRAR format?
then you click on the one file and extract...right? then the file your extracted is another win RAR format? it shouldnt be it should be a .iso file, can you give me the link what you downloaded, i would like to see the files.

EDIT : reading post again you downloaded 2 parts, both being .iso files? if they are .iso files you mount them using daemon tools, as they are image files, then you will be able to see whats on the image file. most likely there will be more win rar files, but DO NOT extract them if they are inside the .iso file, as they are meant to be in that form. use daemon tools to mount as mentioned and install from the mounting.

Posted 4 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

It would help if you could post the directory of the files in question. Put them into a new folder and from the command prompt in that folder do a DIR and post that.

From what I understand is that you have 2 ISO files, lets say DISK1.ISO and DISK2.ISO. Now it gets muddy. I will assume you are in WinRAR and the RMB on DISK1.ISO and select EXTRACT and it will put it into a folder called DISK1. That 'works' but before completing it asks for another volume to be mounted? Is this correct? Can you post the exact message you get?

If you were extracting a 'set' of files that are numbered to make another file, then you'd get a similar type of message after it processed the first file. All this depends on the file extension. If it is a RAR, normally you'd see one of 2 formats :

- filename.part0x.rar where x would be the part number.
- filename.rar and followed by filename.r0x where x would be numbers from 1 to the end.

Some files are shipped to be JOINED, that is in parts. Extensions usually are .001, .002, 003, and so on. If you have PAR2 files with this, you can use QuickPar to join them by clicking on the PAR2 file. Otherwise, a program like SplitJoin can be used.

I suspect you have 2 split file that when joined will either create an ISO file or a RAR file of an ISO file.

Anyway, more detailed info would help here.

Irv S.

Posted 4 years ago

germ-x
germ-x

good morning windfall, if I understand you you have 2ea. .iso files that have some .rar files packed inside them This is not unusual. Your dc/dvd burning software should have an option to burn an .iso image. Just put the cd/dvd media in the tray> start your burning software> click on burn image. Most .iso files have some .rar files embedded within themselves. They will be opened / converted during the burning process. When finished you will have an autoruning cd/ dvd. If the files cams as large size .rar files and you open them and they open into smaller .rar files just continue and when finished with all the files there will be one file with the ext of .rar, the others will have an extension of .r01. r02, etc. Click on the .rar file and it will unpack all the smaller files.

g-x

Posted 4 years ago

windfall

i really appreciate all the detailed info----------
but here is story agin--
i ave 2 winrar files part1 & part 2---each contains another winrar --inside of those are iso( dvd) image

please-please!!--tell me step by step how to unpack---because when it says ":
?" you need to have following volume to continue extraction"--insert a disk with this volume and press okay---
this is where I GET REALLY STUCK!!

THANX

TOM

Posted 4 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

Tom, can I ask if you are using WinRar or something else to unpack the files?

Can you POST the exact file names? Is there a PAR2, NZB or SFV file extension file with it? Any of these would detail how many RAR files are needed to make a full set.

Without either a screen capture of the error dialog box or a complete detailed posted of the wording here I can't tell what the problem could be? Also depending on program used the error returned could differ. Not know these details makes it hard to help you.

Irv S.

Posted 4 years ago

windfall

thanx

but---honestly---how do i show you a screen capture as an attachment on this site>>>

i don't know how to do it---
i can make a screen cap---but do not know haw to attach it to this post!!

tom

Posted 4 years ago

mickeyblue
mickeyblue

follow this tutorial and you will be able to post pictures

www.howtogeek.com/forum/topic/.....replies=25

Posted 4 years ago

Geo

Hate to say it but it sounds like the OP pirated some kind of program\DVD and doesn't know how to open it. I would assume that someone who would purchase something like this would at least how to open it.

"you need to have following volume to continue extraction, insert a disk with this volume and press okay" It also seems like there are more then 2 parts to this "RAR" file. Could be anything from a pirated game to a pirated program. I could be wrong and i am sorry in advance, but this seems very sketchy to me. We'll see when you post these pictures.

Posted 4 years ago

windfall

no---nothing pirated---

it is a music software program i bought from an "oem" site---
i have bought programs before-many times from them---including some "norton-symantec" products-
never a problem ---
they do tell you in advance you are getting product only with no supprt( product) and updates---
but i never received instructions as to how to open multiple files

the product i bought is " nuendo 4.3"--a recording studio software-

i will learn how to attach " screen print" and get back to you---
please be on a lookout for me
i really appreciate youre time

also---" happy new year"-- and please have a safe one

thanx
tom

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

Can you please post a link to that site.

Posted 4 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

ALso answer what you are using to unpack the files please? It would help determining the problem?

Please do a SIMPLE DIR from a COMMAND PROMPT of the files, then MARK the file lines, COPY those lines, and PASTE them into a reply here.

Avoiding answering these simple questions makes it appear you are trying to hide what you have.

Irv S.

Posted 4 years ago

germ-x
germ-x

If you did purchase the product. Can you just type the entire file name? Something like "Happy New Year.rar" or "Happy new Year.iso"

Posted 4 years ago

foreverblue

I have had the same issue and have found that i was trying to unpack a ZIP archive file with numbers at the end i.e 01,02,03 rather than a RAR archive file. If this is the case you need to highlight all ZIP files and extract to . You will then get a bunch of RAR archive files where you just highlight the top file as normal and you will be able to extract your file(s) with out the error "you need to have following volume to continue extraction"

Hope this helps!

Posted 4 years ago

windfall

hi forever blue--

thanx----but can u be patient with me and tell me in detail how to do that--
i would really appreciate it--i even contacted "winrar" and my "oem" sit support for help

there is another person( will not mention who) who is playing internet police/ insinuating i have something to hide( being that i don't know how to open multiple part winrar files and wants to know address of of oem site i bought my "nuendo 4.3) software from

all i can say is --google " oem music software"--there are about 3 to 4 sites
and as far as mr. internet detective goes---you sound knowledgeable--but-please--youre help i do not need

Posted 4 years ago

vistamike
vistamike

Windfall, the forum is TRYING to help you but you are NOT answering the simple questions required to assist! Please give as information as possible.
Use the snipping tool available in Vista. Go to Accessories navigate to Snipping Tool.

Mike

Posted 4 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

Windfall, we are trying to help you, but you are being very evasive by not answering very simple and basic questions like a directory of the files you are trying to operate on or even the complete names of the files.

You said they were iso files with RAR inside of them, "I have a program I bought--which consists of iso image files( dvd)--in 2 parts
both have another winrar file pack inside each other". How hard is it to even list those names, like

DISK1.ISO
DISK2.ISO

and inside

PROG1.RAR
PROG1.R01
GE55.RAR
GE55.R01
GE55.R02
etc.

You wouldn't even tell us what you were using to unpack or how?

'Compressed' files usually will come in a few extensions, RAR, 7Z, and ZIP generally. Images will come in a few too, like ISO, BIN and CUE pair, and others. Then there are the Split/Join set that have number extensions, like 001, 002, ect.

All these need different unpacking methods.

You indicated you got RAR files after unpacking the ISO's. Fine, but you refuse to name the files? Why?

Many 'pirate sites' and newsgroups use RAR as a compression method as do MANY legitimate s/w producers and vendors. However, your unwillingness to detail what you got and where from leads me, and I assume others, to suspect your reluctance to give full information means to us your source is not legitimate? I googled as you said and not only was I able to find the supplier, but cracked and torrent copies as well. This is an $1,800 program, but you can get it 'free' HERE</ a> as well.

I checked their Nuendo's FORUMS to see if others had installation problems or asked how to install it? None that had to do with the method, mostly about dongle problems (if you've got a crack, this wouldn't be needed) or license problems, but none on how do I install or decompress the disk images?

They tell you to look at the PDF on the program CD/DVD's if you have a problem. Registered users (if you have a legitmate copy) can even call them?

Sorry, with your attitude and evasive non-answers, one can only draw the conclusion that you do not have a legitimate copy, and I for one, and I'm sure others here, well not help you unpack a pirated copy, even if you bought it from a pirate.

Good bye.

Posted 4 years ago

vistamike
vistamike

@ispalten, that is exactly the problem, doing the search as the OP suggested came up with 3 WOTs in red! The price for the full version is $1800 +/- so a non supported version rings bells! And the 'free' link opens a new can of worms..............nuff said, WOT?

Mike

Posted 4 years ago

foreverblue

Do not open WINRAR but go to the folder where your software downloaded to and follow the instructions below -

I had files listed like

XIL-JO Winrar archive
XIL-JO01 Winrar ZIP archive
XIL-JO02 Winrar ZIP archive
XIL-JO03 Winrar ZIP archive

Higlighted all required files and right click and choose "extract here". You will then receive another set of files in the same folder your currently in and you just right click on the one XIL-JO for example. This will have a different date modified to the original one listed originally (it may only be by a minute) choose "extract here". You should then have your file(s) in the same document folder you started in.

Any probs just post back or leave you email address if that's allowed!

Accepted Answer · Posted 4 years ago

Bartman
Bartman

Please do not post email addresses. Thanks

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.