SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Microsoft Office

(Solved) - How to Move outlook file to different location in Windows 8?

(6 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by zrzhu11
  • Latest reply from scorpion99
  • Topic Viewed 2074 times

zrzhu11

I followed this instruction, but it didn't work for me.
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....here-else/

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

You will have to define what did not work means. What did you do? What happened? What are the symptoms of the problem?

Posted 1 year ago

zrzhu11

I made a Expandable String Value, ForcePSTPath, under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Outlook\, and set the value to D:\tmp\outlook. However, the outlook file still in C: drive, not in D drive.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

Did you perform the following step (which was right above the Conclusion paragraph)

Now, move all of the contents of your Outlook data folder you opened above to the new folder you specified, and then reopen Outlook. Everything should work as before, except now your Data files are stored where you want them to be stored!
You have to physically perform the copy or move function. Changing the registry key alone is not sufficient.

Posted 1 year ago

zrzhu11

Ok. I did move the file to the new location now. From outlook, i can see everything is in D drive besides the one outlook data. I don't know if I can move that also.

Now in both locations, I have the outlook files. How can I fix it? I delete the files in C drive, but when I start outlook. It will create the files again.

Posted 1 year ago

scorpion99
scorpion99

To move files safely , make sure that Outlook is closed.
then Go to Mail in Control panel (This applied to Window 7 , you should find it also in Windows 8 also ), and from there you can add or remove Outlook files.
Don't forget that after you move an Outlook file , you have to change the path for it in the active email configured on Outlook. (Just click on Emails in the first Tab in your first attached picture) to do this.
Once your changes are done , you can start Outlook.

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.