The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

How to make Windows 7 tell you about critical system errors

(4 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by kwe
  • Latest reply from raphoenix
  • Topic Viewed 662 times

kwe

I was shocked to discover this week that my Windows 7 system had been warning me about serious disk errors for over a month and I didn't see any of these messages until after the disk failed and I searched the event log to see what might have happened. I also found other critical system errors that were only reported in the logfiles and never did I get any notification that I could act on.

So in the Event Viewer I created a task with a custom trigger to show a notification message anytime the System log registered a critical or error event. Once created, you can manage these notifications using the Task Scheduler, so create as many as you might think are useful.

I don't yet know if this task is really doing its job or how the notification will occur. (Will I see a balloon popup in my notification area?)

Has anyone else been disappointed to miss critical system errors and how have you addressed the problem?

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

kwe,
---
I'm pleased with the "TONS" of logs in Win7.
---
Am NOT pleased that folks don't study and configure the new O/S BEFORE trying to use it.
---
To be Sure It's Complicated, all the more reason to "hit the books". (lol) (lol) :) :)
---
The reason the O/S appears to be slow in many instances is that it is constantly recovering from errors unbeknown to the user who hasn't setup their machine properly. (Good and Bad)
---
Best Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 4 years ago

kwe

not really all that helpful, raphoenix. insulting, but not helpful.

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

kwe,
---
Was not meant to be insulting at all.
---
I'm sorry !
---
Thought you were just asking for personal opinions of logs, etc..
---
Best Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!