SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Build Your Own PC

(Solved) - How to make this PC better, $700 Budget.

(17 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by i544cj0n35
  • Latest reply from i544cj0n35
  • Topic Viewed 651 times

i544cj0n35

I'm considering selling my huge tower for a more mobile PC because I saw this.

Newegg's Mini Mobile PC

Instead of getting this exact setup I'd rather see some newer hardware -- specifically the newer APUs provided by AMD. What would you guys personally do to make this a better machine, with newer hardware, without exceeding a $700 budget?

I would like to see setups with at least the same case size and one of AMDs Trinity APUs.

Posted 2 years ago

whs

The addition of a SSD fo the OS would definitely be worth a consideration.

Posted 2 years ago

i544cj0n35

For sure. I liked that thinking, so I decided on a rebuild of the idea posted above by Newegg:

A8-5600K Build

I think everything works together. I did go $10 over budget but that is workable for me.

Any challengers? :)

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix

AMD will introduce new processors on the 23rd of October 2012

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/.....-8350.html

Posted 2 years ago

i544cj0n35

Will they compete price wise with Trinity?

Posted 2 years ago

i544cj0n35

Just kidding, I realized I hadn't included a HDD for storage in the build. So I bailed on the aftermarket cpu fan and replaced it with a HDD, keeping me within budget.

A8-5600K Build

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix

They are to replace Trinity as AMD CPUs cannot compete against Intel Ivy Bridge in most situations.

ITX form factor has little are no future expandability.

Is cute, cheap and and that's all.

Posted 2 years ago

Fhirkin9

The release of new processors usually necessitates a price drop for older processors, so that might keep you back on budget if you wait...

Posted 2 years ago

whs

You may want to check the power requirements of your Radeon GPU because your 430W PSU is not very big. I would go for 550W to 600W to be on the safe side. The price difference is usually minimal.

Posted 2 years ago

i544cj0n35

I used the Newegg Power Supply Calculator and it told me I needed a 353 Watt PSU for what I had in the tower.

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse

Always go up a bit.

Posted 2 years ago

i544cj0n35

Alright if you say so, here is the updated build.

I just noticed that the PC we have come up with will run circles around Newegg's Mini Mobile! I'm pretty satisfied with this :)

Accepted Answer · Posted 2 years ago

i544cj0n35

1 off topic question. Windows 8 vs Windows 7? I've noticed that they are the same price on newegg (here and here). Think Win8 is worth it?

To be honest I'll probably stick with Win7, was just curious about opinions concerning the OS for this new build.

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi

Depends on whether you want to be this year or last year.

Posted 2 years ago

whs

Warning !! The OCZ Agility is not such a good choice. A lot of people had trouble with it. If you want an OCZ, go with a Vertex. Else a Samsung 830, Crucial M4 or Intel are good choices.

Posted 2 years ago

Kelen

Beware of using the 7000 series discrete cards if you plan on using the Dual graphics option with the apu. Alot of people have said it doesnt work. The suggested card on the CPU boxes side panel is a 6570 with an A8. AMD Dual Graphics

Posted 2 years ago

i544cj0n35

I wasn't going to try crossfire. I've always like the single, discrete option.

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.