SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

How to make one drive turn off, but not the c drive?

(8 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by barredforlife
  • Latest reply from barredforlife
  • Topic Viewed 401 times

barredforlife

The situation is this: I have two physical drives, the c drive (a sdd), and a second physical drive (standard hard disk) for backup and whatnot. Is there a setting to make the second hard drive turn off when not in use, but leave the other drive running? I have my pc running 24/7 but don't need the second drive spinning all the time.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Run the computer with the Side Panel Removed.

Assign DVD Player Letter K.

Reboot.

When the machine is TURNED OFF, then just disconnect the power and data cables from the mechanical hard drive when you know you will not need it for a while.

Do NOT try "Hot Plugging" Consumer Grade mechanical hard drive when the machine power is turned on !!!!

Rick P.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

If you have a 'balanced' power setting, it should turn off (at least mine do). But that can also be a pain because every time you reference a file on the HDD, you have to wait for the HDD to get started.

I have 1 SSD and 2 HDDs in a Dell.

Posted 1 year ago

Hermitt
Hermitt

barredforlife, if I were you I wouldn't worry about it. I have a Custom built XP machine (built in September 2003) with 2 physical 120GB HDD's that have been running for the past 9 years and they still run as smooth as silk.

Jim

Posted 1 year ago

barredforlife

TY all for your input so far.

to whs: I'll try the balanced again. However, when I left a program running (folding) the entire pc went to sleep after 30 minutes if I left the PC.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

I set my sleep and shutdown timings to 'Never'. So that has never happened.

But Hermitt has a good point. If you keep the HDDs running it may wear them less than frequent start/stop operations.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

The reason for my FIRST recommendation above is that you are running an SSD.

All information I have read recommends to DISABLE System Sleep Modes Including Hibernation and to zero out the Hibernate File when running SSDs.

Also has been reported for years that machines with devices which allows Windows program to sleep them have issues and problems along the way.

Thus I prefer to just Physically Disconnect a couple of old Backup Spinners until I need them.

Rick P.

Posted 1 year ago

barredforlife

OK, thanks folks for all the good input.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!