The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Linux

How-To load GRUB option on keypress

(5 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by rothgar
  • Latest reply from rothgar
  • Topic Viewed 3581 times

rothgar

I have Ubuntu and Vista on my HP laptop (single Hard drive). Vista loads by default but I would like a way to load Ubuntu without having to go to the GRUB menu (esc, up,up,up,up,enter) to load Ubuntu for when I am at home. I still need to have Vista as my default boot option. Is there a way that before GRUB loads I can just hold the L key and GRUB will load my Ubuntu option instead? It doesn't have to be the L key I was just using that as an example. I was looking through my menu.lst file but didn't see any option like that.

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

If you change the timeout value to say 5 in menu.lst then the grub menu will only display for 5 seconds and then boot the default entry.

Posted 6 years ago

rothgar

I was hoping not to have any menu at all (how I have it set up now) and only boot to the alternate OS when I wanted it to by holding just a key. I am guessing this isn't possible. :(

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

I still don't understand the problem.
If you just have a menu system with Vista, Grub and then Ubuntu there should only be three key presses, {Down}{Enter}{Enter}.
That shouldn't be a big problem to do.

Posted 6 years ago

rothgar

in my head it just seemed easier to make it load a option with 1 keypress instead of loading the boot menu. The boot menu isn't hard and the way I have it set up now I have minimal boot time when I am booting my default option. But I just wanted to never have to go to the menu to keep boot times to a minimal. just an example of this is like you can boot from CD by holding D in apple's open firmware and netboot by holding N. Although in my case I want to boot vista by default, ubuntu with a keypress, and something else by holding a different key. If I need to I can still go to the menu by hitting esc, but if I know what I want I shouldn't need the menu.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!