SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

How to launch website pressing a single key in Firefox?

(8 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by ivan878
  • Latest reply from Lighthouse
  • Topic Viewed 463 times

ivan878

Is it possible to launch website when pressing a single key? For example, i want to assign "G" key for google page and when pressing the key it will open the google page in a new foreground tab. I know it is possible to assign key combination for launching sites with some firefox addons but i couldn't find a solution to do this when pressing single key.

Thanks!

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

I would think SITE LAUNCHER would do what you want?

You can also do this with KEYWORDS IN THE URL as well.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

ivan878

I know about site launcher addon but you can't open site with pressing a single key, you have first use key combination to launch the bookmark panel and then press the assigned key.

With the second option you have to type in url bar which is not what i am asking for.

But thanks, anyway.

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

I cannot find anything that does what you ask.

Why not ask here; https://forums.mozilla.org/addons/ and perhaps some will come up with a resolve or write an addon!

Mike

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

How would Windows know, if you assigned a letter key to a site, that you when you wanted it to be a site launcher and when you wanted it to be a letter for ordinary typing? You need to do a CTRL+Letter to differentiate otherwise it would have to be one or the other.

Posted 1 year ago

Scott
Scott

How about the Bookmarks Toolbar for one click access for a site?

Posted 1 year ago

ivan878

Firefox has already integrated shortcut that opens google page called "web search". You can see it if you install the Durango Keyconfig addon. The hotkey is ctrl+k i think but it can be changed to a single key shortcut. But it opens google page in the same tab not in a new foreground tab.

Also with Fast Dial addon you can assign single letter shortcuts for websites but it also opens the sites in the same tabs not in new foreground tabs.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

This may help refine what has been mentioned above.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/tab-mix-plus/

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!