How-To-Keep it Clean

(7 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by gedstar
  • Latest reply from raphoenix
  • Topic Viewed 636 times

gedstar
gedstar

Hi All

Just wondering how people clean the inside of their PC's/Laptops, I know PC's are different from Laptops and have no problem taking apart either! Just got a new High Spec PC and would like to keep it clean on the inside. It's only about a month old so shouldn't be anything to worry about, so just looking for advise going forward. I know the fans + power supply seem to gather the most dust so what's the best way to clean the dust from all these components?
Thanks in Advance
Ged

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

Fans and Power supply = Natural Bristle Brush/Compressed Air.

Cards or Slots = Lint free Swabs and PC or Isopropyl cleaning solution.

General dust build up (in Case and Keyboard) PC Vac with suitable attachments (if can afford one, although I have a friend who takes a few risks by using a normal hoover attachment and tapes a bendy straw to the little 'nook and cranny' nozzle. Not too advisable due to ESD).

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

gedstar
gedstar

Thanks Guys

Actually work in IT and have cleaned a few PC's with an industrial compressor and have to say it did the job without any problems and they had a serious amount of dust and I mean serious, never seen so much dust, you couldn't even see what was inside the case. Saying that I wouldn't recommend that here. In work I can get away with it.
Thanks for the links will see what options I have, this is my own PC/Laptop so no Industrial Compression for me :)
Ged

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

Be careful when using a brush since even natural bristles can cause an ESD (ElectroStatic Discharge). Best to keep brushes away from circuit boards. Vacuums can also cause an ESD.

"Canned air" is the most convenient way to clean a computer. A low pressure air compressor can aso be used but, since small amounts of water can be condensed by the exepanding air, anything cleaned that way should be allowed to set for a few hours to avoid causing a short. Also, don't allow the air to spinn the fans.

Frequent cleaning will make cleaning much easier. Keeping the case off the floor will reduce the amount of dust that will collect.

Posted 1 year ago

ProstheticHead
ProstheticHead

My computers are never left in one piece for long enough to gather much dust, but I normally just use a hoover and a small brush. (I'm not suggesting anyone else should do it that way) I do have a compressor, but that's out in the garage and computers are heavy. 'The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak' sort of thing, you know what I mean.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Actually it's easy just to run'um with the case sides off and blow'um out daily along with other house hold chores.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.