The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

how to keep a processer cool

(24 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by jack7h3r1pp3r
  • Latest reply from ScottW
  • Topic Viewed 2608 times

jack7h3r1pp3r

how would i go about keeping my processer cooler because it is starting to get hotter now and getting harder to keep it cool it stays idle at around 55 - 60 c and can sometimes get up to 80 c (eek) and my case has the max fans it can hold. so what can i do to keep it a bit cooler. help needed thx

edit: and i am using a p4 3.0ghz w/hyperthreading

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW

Jack, what kind of cooler is on the CPU? Did you build this system or does it have a make and model we can look up?

Budohorseman will probably tell you to lap the CPU and it's cooler.

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

it's just a fan and heat sink i think it's the one that came with it and it's a custom build.

and how would i lap the cpu?

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW

Well, those little fansinks that Intel included in P4 boxed processors were never very impressive. Depending on what you have room for, a nice new Zalman cooler might help:
http://www.zalman.com/ENG/prod.....econd=CAS1

I've never done the lapping thing, but you can Google up some instructions for it. The idea is to grind down the surface of the cooler and the CPU so there is better contact between them and less thermal grease. For the hardcore modders, I say.

What case do you have with all the fans installed? What's the temperature inside the case? Upgrading the CPU cooler won't be as effective if you are not exhausting heat from the case.

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

this is the case that i have: http://www.apevia.com/Products.....TXB8KLW-BK

the temp in the case isn't to bad about 28-40 c at times.
and the fans i have are 4 (80mm) a pci fan (link below) and 1 (120mm) and the case has pretty good exhaust i can feel it coming out the sides

http://www.tigerdirect.com/app.....;CatId=494

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

i think this is what you are talking about: http://www.overclockersclub.com/guides/lapping/

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW

Yep, that's one of many guides to lapping.

As for your case, are you using that air duct? I'm a big fan of those because if they are in place right above the CPU cooler, it can suck cool air from outside the case right down over the CPU rather than the relatively hot air inside.

You might be able to bring down the air in the case. That's a lot of fans you have if you don't have the right balance between intake and exhaust they could be fighting each other and circulating warm air. Other than that, you should consider a new CPU cooler like the Zalman ones. Lots of fins, big quiet fan, as long as it fits in the case.

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

ok i will take some fans out to see whats happens to the temp and try to even out my air flow and i will be looking into a new cpu fan and heatsink. just have to find the time and the money for them. :)

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW

What about that air duct -- are you using it? If not, that's something you can hook up at no charge that might bring the CPU temp down.

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

ya i had it in before but now it went down 3-5 degrees with out it on because now i have a fan that sucks airs out of the case in its place and it seems to work better.

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW

An exhaust fan in place of the air duct, hmm? I would not expect it to work better, but temperature readings decide that.

Remember, there are two types of fans: the ones that suck and the ones that blow! :-D

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

ok so i switched it back not much of a diff. yet just a more stable reading not jumping all over. right now i am sitting in the 55-60's range but with nothing running it was at about 51-53 ish. and i also took out the pci fan. and yes i did know that there are two types of fans. i think that i will be picking up a new cpu fan and heat sink soon too. once i get some rebates back for some other purchases woot can't wait. and one more thing would having more or less ram make a diff. in the proc. temp?

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

and also do you happen to know what the average temp for the proc. i have is? kinda wondering because if these temps are normal i shouldn't have to worry too much right. except for when it goes to 80.

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

i'm thinking about getting this one some time soon do you know if these are good? http://www.newegg.com/Product/.....6835150033

and also there aren't too many socket 478's that are zalman from what i could find.

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW

I suppose that you could speculate that with less RAM, there would be more paging thus more memory access. On the other hand, more DIMM sticks could put off more heat. Either way it shouldn't make a noticeable difference.

As for average temp, I don't think 55 - 60°C is unusual for a 3GHz P4 on 90nm. The P4 runs really hot when compared to the Core2. You can check the datasheet for thermal info on your P4 from Intel:
http://support.intel.com/desig.....tation.htm

Let me try this joke again. There are two kinds of fans: one kind sucks and the other kind blows! :-P

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW

As far as a recommendation, I don't keep track of all the coolers out there. You would do better to ask at Tom's Hardware. I've never heard of Masscool, but I don't see any problems with that one just looking at the pix of it. I would only say this: if it doesn't have substantially more heatsink surface area and a bigger fan than what you have now, it probably won't make a big difference.

At newegg, I selected the category CPU Coolers and searched within results for "478". There are plenty of Zalmans, Thermaltakes, and other well known brands on the list. I think this URL will show those results:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/.....InDesc=478

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

also copper is better right? and the heat sink that i have right now doesn't even have a flat bottom on it so i don't think that i would be able to do the lapping and this might be why the proc is so hot too am i right in this?

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW

Yes, copper is a better heat conductor, but it's very heavy which is why they make copper/aluminum heatsinks to reduce weight. Plenty of people run their CPUs cool without lapping the CPU or the cooler. Also, some CPU packaging is not appropriate for lapping. Like I said, that's for the hardcore modders or overclockers. You shouldn't worry about trying to lap it.

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

ya you are probs right ;)

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW

The heat sink that you have now doesn't have a flat bottom? What shape is it? The lapping process is only concerned with smoothing the already flat areas of the cooler and the CPU that will be touching. It's done to smooth out imperfections that you shouldn't be able to see.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.