SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Linux

(Solved) - how to install windows on a kubuntu machine?

(4 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by sablade
  • Latest reply from BobJam
  • Topic Viewed 796 times

sablade

Hi,my friend just gave me an old computer yesterday that only has Kubuntu as the OS. I'm not interested in using ubuntu, so I'd like to install windows 7. I have the installation cd, but when I boot up the computer, i'm unsure how to make it recognize to boot from the cd.
i can't even access the ubuntu os because it asks me for a password, which i don't know. so i'm stuck with the bios.

basically, i don't know the commands. i THINK that i have to change the root from the hard drive to the cd to get it to boot that way??, but i'm unsure what command i have to type to do that.

any help greatly appreciated!!

Posted 1 year ago

BobJam
BobJam

@sablade,

Insert the CD in the tray.

Tap whatever key accesses your BIOS right when the machine first gets turned on and before it boots into the OS. You may have to be quick. Sometimes it's F2, sometimes it's ESC, sometimes F1, etc. It's just a key press, no command. The key to press should flash on your screen right before it boots into the OS or it should be in the manual (BTW, what's the make and model number of the machine?)

Once you get into the BIOS, there should be a screen/section titled something like "Boot Order". In that screen you should be able to set the CD as first in the boot order . . . that way the machine will look to the CD for boot instructions BEFORE it looks to the HDD for them. That's what you want. When you set the boot order to the CD first, then press OK, or "Save and Exit", or "Apply" or whatever your BIOS requires to accept the setting.

Most of the time, the machine will then go ahead and continue the boot process, now looking to the CD FIRST for boot instructions, but if it shuts down, just go ahead and turn it on again.

I'm giving instructions in the dark here because we don't know the make and model of the machine. If you tell us the make and model (like "Dell Inspiron 1545" or something), we may be able to tell you what key to press to get into the BIOS and what BIOS screen to look for.

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

sablade

thanks so much, that did the trick! F1 it was.

Posted 1 year ago

BobJam
BobJam

@sablade,

Glad it worked.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.