How-To Geek Forums / Tutorials

(Solved) - How to install Windows 8 in a separate disk

(12 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Elf
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 1134 times

Elf
Elf

I want to dual boot from Windows 8 from my primary C: Drive. I just got me a 120 GB internal HD that I plan to use to install Windows 8 on it. What's the best route to get this done? I don't want to install over my primary disk and lose W7. Any tutorials on this?

Posted 1 year ago

hArLtRoN
hArLtRoN

I imagine it would be the same as this tutorial, only using a Windows 8 ISO instead of a Windows 7 ISO.

Regardless of the way you actually install Windows 8, make sure that your Windows 7 hard drive (or SSD) is UNPLUGGED when you go to install Windows 8. That way there is no possible way for you to overwrite your Windows 7 installation.

See what other posters have to say as I have not installed Windows 8 yet.

Hopefully this is helpful.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Simple - disconnect the Windows 7 disk (power or Sata cable) and install Win8 on the new disk. Reconnect the Win7 disk when the installation is done. Then you switch from one to the other with the BIOS boot priority.

Another option is this. You can use the new disk in lieu of an external disk for that.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Ya, Make Sure you use diskpart instructions in tutorial to prepare the Internal HD or you will end up with a GPT formatted disk if you just let Windows 8 do its' thing..

Posted 1 year ago

Elf
Elf

This is great advice but, I'm still trying to understand raphoenix. What instrucctions which include diskpart were you referring to?

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Good point Rick - forgot about that. Here are the cmd commands:

Diskpart
List disk
Select disk n (where n is the number that was given for your disk in List disk)
Clean
Create partition primary
Format fs=ntfs quick
Active
Exit

Posted 1 year ago

hArLtRoN
hArLtRoN

Rick was referring to the DISKPART commands in the tutorial I linked to in my previous post. Same as what whs just posted.

The tutorial shows how to get to a CMD window while installing, it may be a little different for Windows 8 that for Windows 7.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Good point by all.

I use a Windows PE/RE Boot USB to prepare the HD Geometry FIRST before loading Windows 8 in Custom Install mode.

That lets me do diskpart commands to make a (1) Full formatted Partition of the HD so forces windows 8 to make MBR installation.

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

Elf
Elf

Fantastic information guys. I'll let you know later how everything turns out or if I run into trouble somewhere. Thank you for now!

Posted 1 year ago

hArLtRoN
hArLtRoN

@Rick,
Is the Macrium ISO whs has so kindly provided a "Windows PE/RE Boot Disc?"

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

It's the Marcium Backup Program made with the Windows AIK.

I'll make the USB Stick tomorrow and let you know for sure.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

It is a free Macrium WinPE recovery disk. But you can also make images with it.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!